Thread: Joining the Military

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    The Air Force? Don't they get a medal just for finishing boot camp?

Just kidding. If I couldn't have gone Navy, I would have gone Air Force.

Best of luck to you.
    Nope, just a ribbon. Every branch does get a medal the second they swear in though. National Defense Service Medal.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Mega, I've been Active Duty for 8 years now, and the entire 17 years before that I was an AF brat. You can ask me any questions you want, and I'll help you out however I can.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

USAF and Army, both crypto. But you can wind up in some strange circumstances - like Laos in '59!
    http://allenbwest.com/
    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg
    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Mega, I've been Active Duty for 8 years now, and the entire 17 years before that I was an AF brat. You can ask me any questions you want, and I'll help you out however I can.
    What's your best recommendation as far as joining the AF? The recruiter said I'd join as an E3 because I have 70 + college credits. What career path is the most rewarding? I plan on using this as a stepping stone for entering law enforcement. Any tips for basic, as well?
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    If you do go into intel, you would be in San Angelo, Texas for AIT. Great place San Angelo.
    Word. And Speedy and I are both close enough
    that we could drive over and visit you. :)

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Nope, just a ribbon. Every branch does get a medal the second they swear in though. National Defense Service Medal.
    When did they start that? I never got that ribbon.

I got a NMCAM, Good Conduct Award and Pistol Marksman. I joined in 1997 - was that too early?
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    When did they start that? I never got that ribbon.

I got a NMCAM, Good Conduct Award and Pistol Marksman. I joined in 1997 - was that too early?
    September 11th.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    What's your best recommendation as far as joining the AF? The recruiter said I'd join as an E3 because I have 70 + college credits. What career path is the most rewarding? I plan on using this as a stepping stone for entering law enforcement. Any tips for basic, as well?
    Well, there are hundreds of "career paths". It all depends on what you want. Have you thought about what you would like to do in the civilian world? Your ASVAB scores will give you the pick of the litter, so I would suggest thinking about what you'd like to do on the outside, and find the job that is closest to that. It's possible to cross train to a differant career field, but your not eligible to do that until the last year of your initial enlistment, so pick wisely, cause you don't want to spend years doing a job you'll hate.

The more technical jobs award more college credits as well. I'm a weather forecaster. In all my training I've earned roughly 100 college credits from the Community College of the Air Force. And I was paid to do all that. Something like Security Forces though, they don't get even half as much, but finding jobs on the outside might be a bit easier for them.

As for basic training, couldn't really begin to tell you much about that. It's changed so much since I went through. General info, keep your head low, never argue with a TI, and try not to volunteer for anything. All your doing is painting a big bullseye on your chest for attention.

If you got anymore questions, shoot me a PM.