Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    That's a kind of myth. Women can't be in combat MOSes. I've got no problem with it either. I know they're recommending some women and even accepting them into the sniper academy but one can't "apply" for it if female. They have to show superior marksmanship, which would be easy for me, but you also have to have the full recommendations of your commanding officer(s).

I'm looking into ballistics, playing with bombs, and the SERE program (amazingly not closed to women).
    Thank you all for well wishes. The recruiter on the phone said it'd be 6-9 months before deployment to basic.
    The girl I am talking about was deployed as a sniper. She was awarded a medla and the news articles were even posted here.

Think about Intel, hon...it's a blast.

rm -rf obama*

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Think about Intel, hon...it's a blast.
    If you do go into intel, you would be in San Angelo, Texas for AIT. Great place San Angelo.

With our current commander and chief and the rules of engagement he has in place, I could not in good conscious suggest to anyone to go into the military for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    I'm surprised to read that you are only 18. I thought you were older than that from the
    maturity in your posts. Best of luck to you, and I hope you will enjoy every minute of it.
    What she said.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

That's a kind of myth. Women can't be in combat MOSes. I've got no problem with it either. I know they're recommending some women and even accepting them into the sniper academy but one can't "apply" for it if female. They have to show superior marksmanship, which would be easy for me, but you also have to have the full recommendations of your commanding officer(s).

I'm looking into ballistics, playing with bombs, and the SERE program (amazingly not closed to women).
    Thank you all for well wishes. The recruiter on the phone said it'd be 6-9 months before deployment to basic.
    Actually, the woman in question was in Air Force Security Forces, which is open to women. Security Forces have a sniper force, culled from their ranks. She was deployed to the FOB where I spent last summer, in Kirkuk. Her exploits were well known out there. I believe she went on to be chosen as one of the 12 outstanding airmen of the year. From her pictures, she looks like a petite young gal, but I heard from other SF, that she was a badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Actually, the woman in question was in Air Force Security Forces, which is open to women. Security Forces have a sniper force, culled from their ranks. She was deployed to the FOB where I spent last summer, in Kirkuk. Her exploits were well known out there. I believe she went on to be chosen as one of the 12 outstanding airmen of the year. From her pictures, she looks like a petite young gal, but I heard from other SF, that she was a badass.
    Well that puts what I knew to kaput! But that's awesome and something I'm definitely going to go for. :p
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Banned
    Well that puts what I knew to kaput! But that's awesome and something I'm definitely going to go for. :p
    Looks like you may have found your calling, Sweetheart. My daughter was an Army Medic and served most of a tour in Iraq. She was in an MP unit and though women are not supposed to serve in combat, she was involved several firefights, ambushes, IED attacks and was wounded in a grenade attack.

Remember that the recruiters are going to try their best to put you in a field where the Air Force is short. Be firm and hold out for something you're pretty sure you'd be interested in. With your scores, you should qualify for most fields. They will probably try to persuade you that if you go into something they recommend, you can go in quickly. They'll tell you if you hold out for what you want, it could take a long time to get in. I won't say they're lying, but maybe exaggerating. Be firm, and you might find an opening in your choice suddenly come up.

The Air Force? Don't they get a medal just for finishing boot camp?

Just kidding. If I couldn't have gone Navy, I would have gone Air Force.

Best of luck to you.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.