Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Sandy loam to revegatate a damaged hillside after cutting a road through and exposing rock and subsoil.
    I would have guessed cheese.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Sarah the 200 pound brown mutt has her head under the end table and won't come out. it will storm soon, she is hiding!

Sarah the 200 pound brown mutt has her head under the end table and won't come out. it will storm soon, she is hiding!
    Again, do y'all buy loam, etc. by the pound or by the cubic yard? I'm interested.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Again, do y'all buy loam, etc. by the pound or by the cubic yard? I'm interested.
    Dump truck load = 35,000 pound per load at the mileage where I'm getting it delivered 180.00 per load.

Dump truck load = 35,000 pound per load at the mileage where I'm getting it delivered 180.00 per load.
    Is that typical where you are? The reason I'm asking is that loam, compost, mulch, etc. can have vastly differing weight per cubic yard depending on moisture content. That's why in my area, and most places I know of, such material is sold based on volume rather than weight.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Is that typical where you are? The reason I'm asking is that loam, compost, mulch, etc. can have vastly differing weight per cubic yard depending on moisture content. That's why in my area, and most places I know of, such material is sold based on volume rather than weight.
    Sandy loam drains well and won't hold much water. Normally you are planning on 8 cubic yards per load but it can't exceed the 35,000 pound DOT required weight limit for a three axle ten Wheel truck. Normally to stay in good with the customer they load right to the legal weight limit giving you up to a yard of bonus material.

No clue Rock. I've had the last 4 days off of work. After the night I just had, I've got no inclination at all to do any forecasting...
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    No clue Rock. I've had the last 4 days off of work. After the night I just had, I've got no inclination at all to do any forecasting...
    What happened, is everything okay?

Sandy loam drains well and won't hold much water. Normally you are planning on 8 cubic yards per load but it can't exceed the 35,000 pound DOT required weight limit for a three axle ten Wheel truck. Normally to stay in good with the customer they load right to the legal weight limit giving you up to a yard of bonus material.
    Ah, gotcha. It is a DOT capacity thing for their trucks. Makes sense now.

Sarah the weather dog was right. It's raining now.