Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Archie Comics announces new gay character 
    Archie Comics announces new gay character

By the CNN Wire Staff
    April 23, 2010 2:47 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Riverdale High School, the stomping ground of comic book legend Archie Andrews, will open its doors to its first openly gay student.

Kevin Keller will be the new student to join Archie, Jughead, Veronica, Betty and Reggie, Archie Comics publications announced Thursday.

"The introduction of Kevin is just about keeping the world of Archie Comics current and inclusive. Archie's hometown of Riverdale has always been a safe world for everyone. It just makes sense to have an openly gay character in Archie comic books," said Jon Goldwater, Archie Comics co-CEO.

Kevin will make his entrance in the comic book in September.

Archie publishers provided a sneak peak of the the plot and a page of the comic book on its website.

The story begins when Kevin comes to Riverdale and promptly beats Jughead in a burger-eating contest. This gets the attention of Veronica who realizes that she is falling for Kevin.

"Mayhem and hilarity ensue as Kevin desperately attempts to let Veronica down easy and her flirtations only become increasingly persistent," Archie Comics said on its website.
    Oh, sure - this will work fine. Humiliate a woman to amuse a gay man (again). You can never start teaching boys how to exploit girls too soon.

CNN

Power CUer
    It's not a woman, it's VERONICA. She's always deserved whatever has happened to her, for at least the last fifty years.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It's not a woman, it's VERONICA. She's always deserved whatever has happened to her, for at least the last fifty years.
    The world is full of Veronicas - they don't need any assistance from gay men to look foolish.

This character would have served a much more useful (and logical) purpose by throwing himself at Archie in a madcap display of "mayhem and hilarity" only to have Archie explain that he's not that kind of boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The world is full of Veronicas - they don't need any assistance from gay men to look foolish.

This character would have served a much more useful (and logical) purpose by throwing himself at Archie in a madcap display of "mayhem and hilarity" only to have Archie explain that he's not that kind of boy.
    When I first saw this on the news this morning, my first thought was "Hasn't anyone seen Chasing Amy?"
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post

If Veronica ever gets what's coming to her, Kevin and Reggie will move in together as Reggie explores his sexuality, and Archie will marry Betty.

I always thought that every character in the Archie franchise was gay.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    I always thought that every character in the Archie franchise was gay.
    /Cough.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

What.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

BSR
    Wow, Archie comics?

This is relevant......... to 1950.

What's next? Lawrence Welk is going to teach us about transgender relations?

I'm waiting for the issue where Moose kicks Kevin's butt and then goes to Riverdale State Prison for 15 years after being convicted of a hate crime. That is where he learns what real homophobia is.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis