1. #1 Polanski set for extradition after Obama rejects plea from Sarkozy that he be spared 
    Sonnabend
    By Peter Allen

Disgraced Roman Polanski is set to be extradited to the U.S. under armed guard after a bid to halt the process was rejected. It follows French head of state Nicolas Sarkozy hand-delivering a personal letter to Barack Obama from the film director asking to be spared jail – a move which apparently failed because the American President refused even to read the note.

Lawyers for 76-year-old Polanski applied to have his child sex case heard in absentia, meaning he could remain under house arrest in Switzerland. Meanwhile, in Switzerland: Roman Polanski with friends while on house arrest .But a California appeals court rejected the bid outright yesterday, paving the way for the extradition process to continue.

If it is successful Polanski is likely to fly to America as a captured fugitive with federal agents in September, said a Swiss judicial source. Polanski is wanted on child sex charges after fleeing the U.S. 32 years ago following the rape of a 13-year-old girl.
    He was arrested in Switzerland last September as he travelled to a film festival and is fighting extradition while under house arrest in his luxury chalet in the ski resort of Gstaad.

His latest appeal includes a sworn statement by his victim, Samantha Geimer, saying that the 1977 charge should be dropped. But the California 2nd District Court of Appeal dismissed Polanski’s application without issuing an opinion. Presidents Nicolas Sarkozy and Barack Obama in Washington earlier this month

They also rejected the petition by Miss Geimer, who is now a mother of three living in Hawaii. Allowing prosecution witnesses to end cases by simply forgiving a criminal would set an unacceptable precedent, the court heard. Swiss Justice Ministry spokesman Folco Galli said Polanski will only be extradited if he receives a sentence longer than six months.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ared-jail.html
    Last edited by bijou; 04-26-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: To comply with fair use guidelines.

Time doesn't cure everything.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    I got a feeling he wont step foot on US soil. Some one will help him get away again.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    I got a feeling he wont step foot on US soil. Some one will help him get away again.
    Same here. I gotta see it to believe it.

At the least he is getting harassed and his life is a nervous mess. Thats better than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    At the least he is getting harassed and his life is a nervous mess. Thats better than nothing!
    Agreed. Wonder how much he paid off his victim to get her to write that letter?

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Agreed. Wonder how much he paid off his victim to get her to write that letter?

Probably nothing. She has stated before that she doesn't want to relive it all over again. I understand her POV on it. She's got a life, a family and doesn't want to look back. Especially with the media circus that the trial will inspire.

On the other hand, I'm all for the state of California/US government still pushing for extradition. Since he's already been convicted of the sex offense, the survivor won't have to relive the event in court. The only new charge he should be facing is fleeing and eluding, or whatever they call it in California, and she won't have to testify at that hearing. She can testify at his sentencing on the rape charge, but it doesn't seem like the prosecutors would want her to, since she just wants to move on with her life.

8. #8 Say what you will on Obama 
    But the way he treated Polansky or the Dalai Lama, who is a slaver piece of shit,was inspired.

Also he might want to do the White House a favor by banning froggy.

Sonnabend
    ....who're you?

"Slaver"?

WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Probably nothing. She has stated before that she doesn't want to relive it all over again. I understand her POV on it. She's got a life, a family and doesn't want to look back. Especially with the media circus that the trial will inspire.

What is your personal opinion on this collision in regards to service of justice versus the well being of the victim? I'm just curious about what your take on the situation is, because I'd almost always end on the side of justice being served, but I've never thought about a situation in which serving justice would detriment the victim.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense