Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Disgraced Priest Ordered Into 'Time-Out'. 
    Pfleger is apartment hunting
    SUN-TIMES EXCLUSIVE | Deflated Pfleger says he doesn't know what's next for him

June 4, 2008Recommend (14)

BY CATHLEEN FALSANI Religion Columnist
    For rent. The last time Mike Pfleger searched the classifieds for an apartment, he was a 20-something-year-old seminarian who hadn't yet taken a vow to obey his bishop.

This morning, Pfleger, the 59-year-old pastor of St. Sabina Roman Catholic Church, plans to move out of the rectory he has called home for 33 years and into an apartment in the surrounding Auburn-Gresham neighborhood.

That, Pfleger says, is up to Cardinal Francis George, who on Tuesday ordered the oft-disobedient priest to take a temporary leave -- a kind of ecclesiastical timeout -- to think about what he'd done.

What Pfleger did was mouth off about Hillary Clinton, lampooning her public tears on the campaign trail and accusing her (and a lot of other white folks) of demonstrating "white entitlement" in the face of the success of her younger, less-experienced black opponent, Barack Obama, during a lengthy sermon on racism at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago, where, until last weekend, Obama and his family were members.
    He basically lost his mind during that episode. The defense that he wouldn't have done it if he'd known it would be broadcast is just pathetic. That's like saying I wouldn't steal a car if I thought I'd get caught but otherwise, sure I'd steal it.

Sun Times

When I saw the clip my first thought was, "whats his DUmmy name?"

Clearly he's a self loathing white boy and has found a home in the black community. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but wouldn't it be a good idea to preach something positive once in awhile.

I'm guessing the Vatican wishes he won't come back.

That was pure politics IMO. That wasn't right.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    5 will get you 10 that he becomes an Episcopal Priest.

(i'm an Episcopalian so I can say that.)

We don't have enough to deal with already.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    When I saw the clip my first thought was, "whats his DUmmy name?"

Clearly he's a self loathing white boy and has found a home in the black community. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but wouldn't it be a good idea to preach something positive once in awhile.

I'm guessing the Vatican wishes he won't come back.
    He should have had brains enough to avoid the trap of voicing his political opinion in public.These people are suppose to be intelligent ministers preaching Christ Crucified and he is deluded if he thinks that average non catholic person would value his opinion.

The church has spoken many times on priests being involved in the American political process and he sure knows better.Several elected Jesuits have given up political office after a papal edict published against its priests holding one!

A pastor at fifty nine should be a mature parish administrator and wise in the ways of the world due to the many people he has dealt with and all of the confessions he has heard.

The temptation to speak in political public forums must offer him some great allure to be that stupid
    !

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    That was pure politics IMO. That wasn't right.
    The man threw his Christian beliefs to the wind and mocked Clinton for the sole purpose of mocking. That isn't politics, that's the Church giving him some time to reflect on his UN-Christian actions.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    5 will get you 10 that he becomes an Episcopal Priest.

(i'm an Episcopalian so I can say that.)

We don't have enough to deal with already.
    No, they usually go the other way,Episcopalian to Catholic !They will either send him to some isolated spot in Alaska or to Rome for a job in The Roman Curia sorting old papal letters .
    The Roman Catholic Church demands obedience in doctrinal matters by its priests and he will have to decide if he will obey his oaths as a Catholic Priests or not .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    No, they usually go the other way,Episcopalian to Catholic !They will either send him to some isolated spot in Alaska or to Rome for a job in The Roman Curia sorting old papal letters .
    The Roman Catholic Church demands obedience in doctrinal matters by its priests and he will have to decide if he will obey his oaths as a Catholic Priests or not .
    But, they simply reassign pedophile priests?

UNBELIEVABLE!

Rev. Pfleger to return to St. Sabina with 'no restrictions'

He'll be back at St. Sabina, but he has to stay out of presidential politics

The South Side parish of St. Sabina exploded with shouts of joy and a standing ovation Sunday morning at the news firebrand Catholic pastor Rev. Michael Pfleger would be returning June 16.
    Lymore said parish leaders were told by Cardinal George that Pfleger will continue as pastor of the church he has led for 30 years with "no restrictions" -- other than not being able to mention publicly the names of presidential candidates or campaign for them.
    http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/r...iest09.article

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    The man threw his Christian beliefs to the wind and mocked Clinton for the sole purpose of mocking. That isn't politics, that's the Church giving him some time to reflect on his UN-Christian actions.
    I agree that he needed a smackdown, maybe to be told he needed to publically apologize. But honestly, do you think he would have gotten told to leave if it wasn't a politician? I can think of more offensive stuff.