Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by CLibertarian View Post
    But, they simply reassign pedophile priests?
    I have to be honest and admit that pops into my head on this one.

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I agree that he needed a smackdown, maybe to be told he needed to publically apologize. But honestly, do you think he would have gotten told to leave if it wasn't a politician? I can think of more offensive stuff.

He is being put on time out to think about his actions. He isnt being banned from the Church. I think the only reason you are hearing about it is because it made national news. Im sure priests have been given a time out before.

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    UNBELIEVABLE!

Rev. Pfleger to return to St. Sabina with 'no restrictions'

He'll be back at St. Sabina, but he has to stay out of presidential politics

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/r...iest09.article

Apparently he isnt even getting a time out.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    UNBELIEVABLE!

He may stay out of presidential politics, but I can guarantee he'll still be politically active. He loves to be in the spotlight in Chicago, kind of like a more famous "preacher" in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas View Post
    Apparently he isnt even getting a time out.
    Now he'll have to go back to bashing the white race as a whole. I saw this fool when the Rev. Wright stuff came out, guess who he was defending. He said that Wright was spot on with his message. I just wandered why this Catholic preist is preaching like a black baptist.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Now he'll have to go back to bashing the white race as a whole. I saw this fool when the Rev. Wright stuff came out, guess who he was defending. He said that Wright was spot on with his message. I just wandered why this Catholic preist is preaching like a black baptist.
    I listened to Wright's contraversal sermons. I do think some of the things he said went too far (particularly the war on Iraq stuff), but a lot of the other stuff he said was actually on the money. The white race have been barbaric. For centuries, they have persecuted Indians, blacks, and others. Today, we particularly go to war with countries full of brown people. It's also been argued that the US holds those other countries to standards they would never do themselves. While the President says this is not about racism, we hear Americans at home saying racist stuff toward Arabs like crazy. (ex. Let's nuke them. They're all evil). Makes people wonder if we're really any less barbaric as a race than yesterday. My main criticism would be that blacks don't have a right to talk because I saw them supporting certain wars right beside whites.

So with the exception of the troop bashing, I'm not sure if what Wright said was all that wrong. If you have a lot of people supporting him, there's a reason. I think that reason should be asked about instead of just condemned.

Power CUer
    UNBELIEVABLE!

Maybe they just couldn't find any other parish that wanted to take him?

What is clear here is that Cardinal Francis George doesn't have the backbone to discipline Pfleger.

Pfleger has long been a radical activist. He has a huge following in his Chicago parish - this is rare in any city parish in the Catholic Church in the US. I've read that they way he celebrates the Mass is questionable at best and he takes liberties with it.

Supposedly, Pfleger has been reassigned to other parishes in the past and has refused to go - saying that if he were removed from St. Sabina Parish he would set up his own church and take the parishoners with him.

Now, if Pfleger were a priest who wanted to celebrate the Traditional Mass in Latin, any one of most of the American bishops would probably have run his ass out of town.

As for the priest abuse scandal - I think it's worse than the media reported, and I'm not taking potshots. I go to Mass nearly every day and go to Confession regularly. These men who did these things were not pedophiles - they went after teenaged boys, not children.
    They never had any business being in the priesthood, but because the bishops, collectively, dropped the ball, unqualified men were ordained. A man with same sex attraction has no business ever being in a seminary - such a place is a near occasion of sin for him.
    The Pittsburgh Penguins - 2007-08 NHL Eastern Conference Champions