1. #1 "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" - May 20th. 
    Seattle cartoonist launches "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day"

By JAMIE GRISWOLD
    MyNorthwest.com

After Comedy Central cut a portion of a South Park episode following a death threat from a radical Muslim group, Seattle cartoonist Molly Norris wanted to counter the fear. She has declared May 20th "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day."

Norris told KIRO Radio's Dave Ross that cartoonists are meant to challenge the lines of political correctness. "That's a cartoonist's job, to be non-PC."

Producers of South Park said Thursday that Comedy Central removed a speech about intimidation and fear from their show after a radical Muslim group warned that they could be killed for insulting the Prophet Muhammad.

The group said it wasn't threatening South Park producers Trey Parker and Matt Stone, but it included a gruesome picture of Theo Van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker killed by a Muslim extremist in 2004, and said the producers could meet the same fate. The website posted the addresses of Comedy Central's New York office and the California production studio where South Park is made.

"As a cartoonist I just felt so much passion about what had happened I wanted to kind of counter Comedy Central's message they sent about feeling afraid," Norris said.

Norris has asked other artists to submit drawings of any religious figure to be posted as part of Citizens Against Citizens Against Humor (CACAH) on May 20th.

On her website Norris explains this is not meant to disrespect any religion, but rather meant to protect people's right to express themselves.
    This started as a joke but it looks like it's gone viral. ;)

My Northwest

Looks like Sally's got cold feet:

Once it became a national story she reeled back, asking Savage -- in an email he provided to The Ticket -- if he would "be kind enough to switch out my poster" with another one -- a much tamer version which has no images attributed to Muhammad.

"I am sort of freaked out about my name/image being all over the place," her e-mail reads.

He didn't change it, nor did he post the tamer version. Besides, after Savage posted it, many other sites picked it up including The Atlantic and Reason.
    When asked about her change of heart, Norris told The Ticket that she didn't intend for the cartoon "to go viral."

Then why did she send the cartoon to the media in the first place? "Because I'm an idiot," Norris replied.
    Cold Feet, Mohammed A No-No
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Too late. :D

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Looks like Sally's got cold feet:

Cold Feet, Mohammed A No-No

Her reluctance shouldn't stop the rest of us from celebrating her original good idea!

Plus, any group that sends a photo of the dead Theo van Gogh to Parker and Stone is making a threat, I don't care how they dance around it once they get caught. Even if the group didn't have a specific plan to assassinate them, they should still be prosecuted for whatever law that can be applied. Anti-stalking laws might apply here. If the picture was sent via US Mail, it's a felony and it's a federal matter.

Federal and state law enforcement should work together on this in order to figure out what charge will stick best.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Her reluctance shouldn't stop the rest of us from celebrating her original good idea!.
    Absolutely! :D

Did anyone submit a drawing? I did not. Mainly because I can't draw.

Muslim concerns trigger Pakistani Web bans

ISLAMABAD Pakistan blocked YouTube and many other Internet sites Thursday in a widening crackdown on online content deemed offensive to Islam, reflecting the secular government's sensitivities to an issue that has ignited protests in the Muslim country.
    YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Blackberries all blocked.

Here's some gems from the story:
    "We are ready to die protecting the honor of our beloved Prophet Muhammad," said Aysha Hameed, one of 1,000 female protesters in Multan city.
    Oy.
    "Such malicious and insulting attacks hurt the sentiments of Muslims around the world and cannot be accepted under the garb of freedom of expression," Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit said.
    Double Oy.
    Facebook said the page was not a violation of its terms, but suggested it may be prepared to take it down.
    Please don't.
    "We are very happy our government and our court has taken these actions," said Mohammad Aamir Chohan, a 28-year-old engineer. "I know blocking these sites is not a solution to the problem, but we have sent a message to the world not to hurt the feelings of Muslims."
    Message not received. Who are these people?

And in fairness to the opposition:
    Feelings were just as intense among those opposed to the ban.

"Sad and embarrassing day in the history of Pakistan," one user posted on the microblogging site Twitter.

Reba Shahid, the editor of Spider, a monthly print magazine about the Internet, said the government "might as well take away cell phones and shut off electricity, do the whole thing."

"You're stemming the flow of information, you're stemming my growth as an intellectual, you're stemming my access to the rest of the world. I might as well go home and sleep," she said.
    Kudos.

Stink

I forgot all about this until one of my staff submitted a bunch of fleet paperwork with a yellow sticky on it. They do that a lot so I didn't look at it until later.

It was a standing stick figure in a headdress waving a knife with a beheaded stick figure in a pool of blood and the caption "Draw Mohammad Day". I had a good laugh over that one then I destroyed the incriminating sticky and went back to work.

S Weasel joined in:

http://sweasel.com/archives/6202