Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 National Guard to patrol Chicago streets??? 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Two state representatives called on Gov. Pat Quinn Sunday to deploy the Illinois National Guard to safeguard Chicago's streets.

Chicago Democrats John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford said they want Quinn, Mayor Richard Daley and Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis to allow guardsmen to patrol streets and help quell violence. Weis said he did not support the idea because the military and police operate under different rules.

"Is this a drastic call to action? Of course it is," Fritchey said. "Is it warranted when we are losing residents to gun violence at such an alarming rate? Without question. We are not talking about rolling tanks down the street or having armed guards on each corner."

What he envisions, Fritchey said, is a "heightened presence on the streets," particularly on the roughly 9 percent of city blocks where most of the city's violent crimes occur.

Weis previously identified those "hot spots" and said he plans to create a 100-person team made up of selected and volunteer police personnel to respond to crime there. If guardsmen were to assist police, they could comprise or contribute to that force, Fritchey said.

So far this year, 113 people have been killed across Chicago, the same number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined in the same period, Fritchey said.

LINK
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I'd say this would warrant it. It's the National Guard, so well within the rights of the State to use. And when you've got just as many deaths as two differant wars in one city, obviously what you've got right now just isn't working.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Banned
    If they are deployed, allow the National Guard to have guns/ammo and the authority to use deadly force if they are attacked. Otherwise, forget it. Lefties will have their diapers in a wad if that happens though.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I'd say this would warrant it. It's the National Guard, so well within the rights of the State to use. And when you've got just as many deaths as two differant wars in one city, obviously what you've got right now just isn't working.
    Wrong... wrong... wrong... National Guard are not policeman. There is no natural disaster there. They need to allow the cops to be able to do their damned jobs. Cut the red tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfor View Post
    Wrong... wrong... wrong... National Guard are not policeman. There is no natural disaster there. They need to allow the cops to be able to do their damned jobs. Cut the red tape.
    Not saying they should serve in the capacity of a police role. More a peace keeping role.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    There are something like 2,000 unfilled jobs in the Chicago police department. There is no money in the budget left to hire replacements for those who have retired or left the force recently.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Not saying they should serve in the capacity of a police role. More a peace keeping role.
    There is no war! How can they serve as peacekeepers? This is American soil. What will happen if/when one of those NG troops is shot and killed? Then there will be an escalation in which the NG troops will go on the offensive. This is a police matter. If they city of Chicago wants to control the violence springing up, then let the cops do what they are supposed to. They made their bed being light on crime.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    There are something like 2,000 unfilled jobs in the Chicago police department. There is no money in the budget left to hire replacements for those who have retired or left the force recently.
    I am sorry to hear that. I truly am. Is Chicago not one of the cities that doesn't allow its citizens to be armed? Don't you think that there is a direct correlation in the fact that the citizens are not armed? Don't you think that if citizens were allowed to be armed there that they could more effectively make their own communities safer by not allowing themselves to be lawful victims? This is a perfect example of a 2nd Amendment issue.

I am sorry to hear that. I truly am. Is Chicago not one of the cities that doesn't allow its citizens to be armed? Don't you think that there is a direct correlation in the fact that the citizens are not armed? Don't you think that if citizens were allowed to be armed there that they could more effectively make their own communities safer by not allowing themselves to be lawful victims? This is a perfect example of a 2nd Amendment issue.
    Chicago is a city filled with libtard politicians. Look where our great LEADER came from. Chicago politics at it's best.

If there are that many violent crimes occuring the state governer has every right to call in the national guard. They are trained in police skills. Peacekeeping skills. The same skills police officers are trained in.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    Chicago is a city filled with libtard politicians. Look where our great LEADER came from. Chicago politics at it's best.

If there are that many violent crimes occuring the state governer has every right to call in the national guard. They are trained in police skills. Peacekeeping skills. The same skills police officers are trained in.
    I know exactly where B. Hussein Obama came from. I know all about Chicago politics. I know how liberal of a town its politicians have. I believe that the folks who voted these people into office are getting exactly what they wanted. I don't believe that the NG is called for in this case. There is no reason why the NG should be deployed here.