Thread: So I went to my supermarket yesterday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 So I went to my supermarket yesterday 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Rut Roh! malaise in Jamaica is upset mon. The eeeeevil Fundies are everywhere!!!!! :D

Island mon
    May the FORCE be with you!

Jim Sagle (1000+ posts)
    Response to Original message
    1. Seek help.
    Clark2008 Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Response to Reply #12
    14. Wow - I'd hate to live in your world.

A stranger can't even approach you without being told off.

Do you need counseling or something.

Really, why so rude? Why do you give THEM the power to piss you off so much? I, myself, don't allow "approachers" the power to alter my day one bit.
    aquaman Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    22. You must feel proud.......

Of your grown-up response. What are you, 12 years old?
    Kickin_Donkey (821 posts)
    41. No pat on the back from me ...

which is what you want, otherwise you wouldn't have posted it.

I see nothing righteous about your actions, just pure poison.

I'm an atheist and I loathe fundamentalist, evangelical Christian proselytizers, but I can't find it in myself to act with such mean-spiritedness.

Your reaction was so over the top. All you had to to was say no thanks. As you said in this very thread, to each his own.

This thread is an example of the coarseness of DU these days -- such disdain for fellow DUers.

Don't cry when karma's a bitch.
    ProdigalJunkMail (1000+ posts)
    51. how sad to be someone so filled with hate

that you cannot just say, "no thanks." you are the joke here and the ass...not the people you verbally assaulted.

sP
    Wow, a few sane folks are at DU!!

Here's another
    scarletwoman (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-26-08 02:35 PM
    Response to Reply #92
    104. Malaise, unlike you, is a long time DUer and considered a friend by many.
    Religious proselityzers are assholes by definition, just as rightwingers are. Recounting confrontations with assholes is a venerable DU tradition.
    NeedleCast (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-26-08 02:43 PM
    Response to Reply #104
    112. Or, Said Another Way
    Seeking validation for being an asshole is a venerable DU tradition. They can all be boiled down to "I acted like a douchebag to someone today because they had the gall to have a different belief system than I do and attempted to engage me in conversation about it, please tell me how great I am."

Not necessarily a good one, but a tradition none the less.
    NeedleCast (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-26-08 02:16 PM
    Response to Reply #87
    90. Yes, telling reasonable people to fuck off is a proper response
    From the OPs own post, it sounds like these people were nothing but reasonable. They approached her and attempted to hand her a flier. She "gave them a look." On the way out, one of them approached again, and inferring a little from the OP, sounds like they wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding or possibly even apologize for disturbing the OP. They are told to "fuck off."

That is not a reasonable response and I'm not going to pat the OP on the back (which is what she is looking for) for doing it.

I don't like people proselytizing to me either, so when it happens, I just say "not interested, thanks." Attempting to justify being hostile to people who are not being hostile to you is just that, an attempt to justify unwarranted behavior.
    scarletwoman (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-26-08 02:26 PM
    Response to Reply #90
    96. Sorry, I do not consider religious proselityzing to be a "reasonable" act, period.
    I consider it an inherently hostile act, and see no problem with responding to a hostile act with hostility in return -- especially when one has already given warning first.
    NeedleCast (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-26-08 02:33 PM
    Response to Reply #96
    101. So Verbally Assauting People is okay, as long as you disagree with them
    Gotcha.

Very progressive point of view.

Despite your opinion, approaching someone and attempting to engage them in conversation is not a hostile act. If you see it that way, it's your problem (and yeah, it is a problem).

As a person who's done a lot of door-to-door canvasing for various democrats, I don't think I've ever been treated in such a hostile manner, even by people I knew were conservatives. I would have quit doing this valuable service for democrats a long time ago if even a small percentage of people thought "FUCK OFF!" was a reasonable response to "Hey, my name is Steve and I'd like to talk to you about Barack Obama."
    scarletwoman (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-26-08 02:44 PM
    Response to Reply #101
    116. Religious proselityzing is a completely different species of interaction than political advocacy.
    Saying "fuck off" to a religious proselityzer is a "verbal assault"? Don't be ridiculous. Those trying to push their brand of "my way is the only way" are the actual assailants; fending them off isn't assault, it's defense.
    NeedleCast (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-26-08 02:51 PM
    Response to Reply #116
    126. I really can't think of any circumstance in which telling someone
    to fuck off in a hostile manner is not a verbal assault.

Attempting to speak to someone about your belief systems, whether it be a religious belief system or a political one, is no different. It's an attempt to convince someone you're right about something and they should adopt that same belief. You can allow your feelings on religion to cloud that if you want, but the bottom line is it's the same thing.

Nor did the people mentioned in the OPs rant seem pushy in any way. They approached, were met with unreasonable behavior, and went away. Sorry that I'm not willing to shower the OP with praise for being a dick.

I guess someday when they find themselves in hell they'd wish differently. Nah. They'd still blame it on the Christians.
    Woe to those who call evil good
    and good evil,
    who put darkness for light
    and light for darkness,
    who put bitter for sweet
    and sweet for bitter.

Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    and clever in their own sight.

Isaiah 5:20-21

So...
    Bounce bounce bounce.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Bounce bounce bounce.

Well considering the topic it would have been bad form to include anything about a bush,burning or otherwise.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

I wonder what ole malaise whould have to say about about Code Pink?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Hmmm. Could it be Satan!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Ill bet she'd have a totally different attitude about her space being violated if they were prostheletyzing for a different messiah. (Obama.)

Although, having been to Jamaica, it seems it's part of their culture to be rude. (Not all of them of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredHome View Post
    I guess someday when they find themselves in hell they'd wish differently. Nah. They'd still blame it on the Christians.
    I'm sure they'll also blame God for not restructuring things according to their own views. They'd do what they always do: Blame everyone else for things they bring down on themselves.