Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Brit Ghost/Demon Sightings Highest In 25 Years. 
    Ghost sightings highest in 25 years

Spooky sightings of ghouls, ghosts and evil spirits are higher than they have been in the past 25 years, according to a new report on haunted Britain.

Published: 7:00AM BST 26 Apr 2010

There have been nearly 1,000 reports of demonic activity in the past quarter of a century, with Yorkshire the nation's most ghostly county.

Encounters with devils, demons and evil spirits are as widespread today as they were in medieval times, researchers claim.

The research was led by the UKs leading authority on the unexplained Lionel Fanthorpe who studied various archives and websites as well as his own reports to identify all sightings and recordings of supernatural beings with satanic qualities.

The study found that despite being in time of accelerating technology, 21st century Britons have not turned their back on ghouls, boggarts, hell-hounds, witches, wizards, banshees and black magic curses, with a whopping 968 reports of demonic activity in the past 25 years.

The report indentifies Yorkshire as the centre of ghostly goings-on demonic activity with 74 reports of demons, including Uncabus and Succubus (male and female demons that make sexual attacks on sleeping victims), instances of demonic possession and sightings of hell hounds, water demons and demons with repulsive forms such as ghouls and werewolves.

Sightings of demons in Yorkshire have included a hideous shadow-like hell-hound with no discernible facial features which collided with a car between Northallerton and Leeming Bar on the A684. A sea-going water demon has also been reported off Filey Bay in Yorkshire. Witnesses claimed to have seen a ghostly creature with a long neck, a vast serpentine body and glowing eyes.
    Interesting.

Telegraph

The should check for ectoplasm flowing like rivers beneath the streets.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

If the british didn't have such good imaginations, we would have been deprived of some of our favorite books from childhood-like Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and so on.

I wonder if reports of demons and such increase during difficult financial times? That would make for an interesting psych study.

Sooner, or later everyone knew I had to comment on this.

Firstly, the Britian is the most haunted on Earth ( have more haunted houses and sites ).
    Second, with the added Tv programs about hauntings ( Ghost Hunters and its clones) , people are reporting hauntings more ( just like they are in the US).

What would be a real shock, is if all encounters were reported ( about 90% are not).
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Thanks for the post, Ginger. Maybe it makes me a loon, but I love this stuff.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    Sooner, or later everyone knew I had to comment on this.

Firstly, the Britian is the most haunted on Earth ( have more haunted houses and sites ).
    Second, with the added Tv programs about hauntings ( Ghost Hunters and its clones) , people are reporting hauntings more ( just like they are in the US).

What would be a real shock, is if all encounters were reported ( about 90% are not).
    That's what I was thinking too. It seems like most cable networks have a show with people running around with camcorders looking for ghosts. It seems like kind of a fad.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    If the british didn't have such good imaginations, we would have been deprived of some of our favorite books from childhood-like Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and so on.

I wonder if reports of demons and such increase during difficult financial times? That would make for an interesting psych study.
    Opium is a very good writing aid isn't it? I find it hard to believe that Dodgson(aka Lewis Carroll) wasn't tripping when he wrote Alice in Wonderland.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Opium is a very good writing aid isn't it? I find it hard to believe that Dodgson(aka Lewis Carroll) wasn't tripping when he wrote Alice in Wonderland.

Maybe opium worked for him, and for Coleridge, but it causes a whole lot of other people to just lay around until they nod out and never accomplish anything meaningful, except maybe to give birth to an addicted baby that someone else will raise.

There's a good movie about Coleridge's struggle-Pandemonium. It makes Wordsworth look like a manipulative thief, though. The ending credits are worth watching through, to see the scenes of a totally wasted Coleridge walking through modern London to the sound of ONJ's Xanadu.

Junkies piss me off more than any other kind of addict, except for any addict who gets violent either when high or when wanting to get high.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    That's what I was thinking too. It seems like most cable networks have a show with people running around with camcorders looking for ghosts. It seems like kind of a fad.
    In the old days, investigaters had to look for cold stops, check for EMR, and believe it or not, they used dogs, cats and rattle snakes to detect hauntings.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

As a Christian, I don't actually believe in ghosts (except during October) so it's interesting to me that as organized religion contracts and is becoming more "doctrinal", we have way more paranormal belief among the agnostic, self-identified atheists, and the merely "spiritual".