Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52
  1. #21  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Doesn't make them right either.
    True, but just so you know... I am always right.

    :D
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    True, but just so you know... I am always right.

    :D
    And you're always here. in any thread you think you can bash religion in. God's very own stalker, how sweet.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    TNO, on a side note. What is your avatar from? That has been bugging the shit outta me. I know what it's from, but can't pull it from my memory.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    But it does seem to be a law restricting free speech and would probably not pass a review by the Supreme Court. On another note, you seem to have a real dislike of Christianity that tends to cloud your judgement sometimes.
    I don't deny I'm not free of angst towards the church (or just religion in general) and it gets the better of me sometimes. And in particular, certain issues push my buttons. What I perceive as a perpetual "crying wolf" on the part of the religious right, and touching on the issue of homosexuality (this thread has both). I personally am happily married to a lovely woman (sorry to disappoint you Megimoo), but many of my very best friends are gay, so there is a personal factor in it here. And believe me when I say, almost all the commentary all over this board on this topic wreaks of that stereotypical false (or what I hope is false) caricature of conservatism (dumb, xenophobic, faith to a fault). I mean... people around here really try hard to live up to the lefts expectations. It's one of the few things that stirs me out of lurker mode and compels me to post.

    All we gotta do is figure a way to tie this thread into the evolution vs creationism debate and you'll really see me get 'colorful';)
    Last edited by wilbur; 08-07-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Banned - Not really Theo
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    On the river
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    And you're always here. in any thread you think you can bash religion in. God's very own stalker, how sweet.
    It would seem. Without God there would be no TNO.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    TNO, on a side note. What is your avatar from? That has been bugging the shit outta me. I know what it's from, but can't pull it from my memory.
    LOST the tv show
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    TNO, on a side note. What is your avatar from? That has been bugging the shit outta me. I know what it's from, but can't pull it from my memory.
    An episode of star trek,the old version with Kirk !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,432
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I don't deny I'm not free of angst towards the church (or just religion in general) and it gets the better of me sometimes. And in particular, certain issues push my buttons. What I perceive as a perpetual "crying wolf" on the part of the religious right, and touching on the issue of homosexuality (this thread has both). I personally am happily married to a lovely woman (sorry to disappoint you Megimoo), but many of my very best friends are gay, so there is a personal factor in it here. And believe me when I say, almost all the commentary all over this board on this topic wreaks of that stereotypical false (or what I hope is false) caricature of conservatism (dumb, xenophobic, faith to a fault). I mean... people around here really try hard to live up to the lefts expectations. It's one of the few things that stirs me out of lurker mode and compels me to post.

    All we gotta do is figure a way to tie this thread into the evolution vs creationism debate and you'll really see me get 'colorful';)
    The gay and lesbian movement is guilty of the same crying wolf. Every time someone makes a statement that is negative of homosexual behavior they are accused of being "homophobes" and "gay bashers". To many in the gay and lesbian movement disagreement with them is to hate them. I don't agree with their life style but I don't hate them either. To each his own is my point of view, but as the religious right is accused of pushing their morals down the throats of non-believers, gays seem to be guilty of the same thing. They want to legislate their view of morality just like the far religious right tries to do. As you know, I'm about as devout a believer as one can be but I understand that there is the world and the world can do as the world will do. Make same sex marriage legal if it pleases society, but don’t force the Church to bless these unions if the Church finds them immoral. Believers don't have to tolerate having their beliefs ruled as illegal, or their values dictated to them because the gay movement wants to join a group of people who find their lifestyles immoral. That itself is mind boggling to me.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 08-08-2008 at 07:34 PM.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The gay and lesbian movement is guilty of the same crying wolf. Every time someone makes a statement that in negative of homosexual behavior they are accused of being "homophobes" and "gay bashers". To many in the gay and lesbian movement disagreement with them is to hate them. I don't agree with their life style but I don't hate them either. To each his own is my point of view, but as the religious right is accused of pushing their morals down the throats of non-believers, gays seem to be guilty of the same thing. They want to legislate their view of morality just like the far religious right tries to do. As you know, I'm about as devout a believer as one can be but I understand that there is the world and the world can do as the world will do. Make same sex marriage legal if it pleases society, but don’t force the Church to bless these unions if the Church finds them immoral. Believers don't have to tolerate having their beliefs ruled as illegal, or their values dictated to them because the gay movement wants to join a group of people who find their lifestyles immoral. That itself is mind boggling to me.
    I read a really good article recently where the pundit argued that as Christians, we should always fight against the moral issue of gay marriage, but to look at it this way..... If it was not a state sanctioned event and one that was carried out by the church this wouldn't be as much an issue because if gay marriage isn't really marriage in God's eyes then it's no more marriage because the state says it is.
    This was probably the best idea about the subject I've read...but I haven't read them all. Links below.

    http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/?p=640
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    I read a really good article recently where the pundit argued that as Christians, we should always fight against the moral issue of gay marriage, but to look at it this way..... If it was not a state sanctioned event and one that was carried out by the church this wouldn't be as much an issue because if gay marriage isn't really marriage in God's eyes then it's no more marriage because the state says it is.
    This was probably the best idea about the subject I've read...but I haven't read them all. Links below.

    http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/?p=640
    Christ tells us to be in the world and not of the world so I try to establish a philosophical wall between the two. The way I read Christ's commands in the Gospel, he was establishing the way that Christians are expected to live and behave but that we shouldn't hold non believers to the same standard because they are not capable of living those standards.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •