Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Obama's visit revived the interest, I think.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Obama's visit revived the interest, I think.
    probably, I really don't have an issue with them getting statehood or at lest voting on it more than once a decade
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    probably, I really don't have an issue with them getting statehood or at lest voting on it more than once a decade
    I think they should just make it a state if they vote that way. But I suspect that all this brouhaha has nothing to do with making it a state, and a lot to do with manipulation.

I'm thinking that the push to make Puerto Rico a state would be to force the Republicans to change the policy towards Cuba. If PR becomes a state, then we'll need to normalize relations with Cuba so that we can refuse asylum to Cubans, who will flee from Cuba to PR if PR becomes a state and we still have the wet-foot dry-foot policy.

No one wants to take the blame for normalizing relations with Cuba, because it will piss off the "Oh... lost empire" Cubans in Florida. I don't know how many of those you have met, but like a lot of refugees, many of them would have you believe that they are nobility in exile and rightful owners of Tara and Doce Robles.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I think they should just make it a state if they vote that way. But I suspect that all this brouhaha has nothing to do with making it a state, and a lot to do with manipulation.

I'm thinking that the push to make Puerto Rico a state would be to force the Republicans to change the policy towards Cuba. If PR becomes a state, then we'll need to normalize relations with Cuba so that we can refuse asylum to Cubans, who will flee from Cuba to PR if PR becomes a state and we still have the wet-foot dry-foot policy.

No one wants to take the blame for normalizing relations with Cuba, because it will piss off the "Oh... lost empire" Cubans in Florida. I don't know how many of those you have met, but like a lot of refugees, many of them would have you believe that they are nobility in exile and rightful owners of Tara and Doce Robles.
    none really, but as far as Cuba goes, I'm all for getting rid of the ban, Fidel is no longer leading the Country and Raul is going to be quick to follow, it's been a pointless embargo for 25 years. Normalize relations and move on.
    "Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offense, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the Majesty of Heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings..." Patrick Henry