Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. They've been trying to make PR a state for decades but they don't want it.
    Agreed, I've chatted with some who live there. A decent number want PR to become an independent nation. Some like it the way it is, I doubt this will pass.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

The problem with this bill (as I understand it) is that it would force PR to fish or cut bait. Either they vote on statehood and get the ball rolling or they become independent. I don't think this could pass but that it's happening at all right now is scary.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The problem with this bill (as I understand it) is that it would force PR to fish or cut bait. Either they vote on statehood and get the ball rolling or they become independent. I don't think this could pass but that it's happening at all right now is scary.
    Why shouldn't they be independent? I see no reason to maintain their semi-protectorate status.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Why shouldn't they be independent? I see no reason to maintain their semi-protectorate status.
    I don't have a problem with them becoming independent but as far as I know, the groups behind independence still haven't figured out how to make the enormous shortfall in benefits and revenue if we pull out. That's why they've never been able get the votes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I would support statehood for Puerto Rico if the people of Puerto Rico wanted it. They've had several votes on the matter over the years, and it always gets voted down. There are advantages to remaining a commonwealth.
    yeah, but in recent years the move for statehood has increased. Personally i welcome them to become a state. the Governor is a Republican and has tried to reign in spending. though he has had some corruption issues :(

but they need to become incorporated territory first, which they aren't. I think it's actually about time that they chose which direction that they would go. I don't think that they will go Independent as there would be total chaos on the island due to lack of money.
    Last edited by fettpett; 04-29-2010 at 02:18 PM.

Sonnabend
    There are advantages to remaining a commonwealth.
    There certainly are.

if they do become independant, it wont make much of a difference, because we'll give them billions in foriegn aid. if they do become a state, they'll pay taxes, but they'll get most likely democrat representatives. it's a no win scenario unless foreign aid stops.
    If you want to see my political views, check out my profile. i have them on my wall because there wasn't enough room in the info section.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Actually, it's been near 14 months.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    They aren't a semi-protectorate, they are a voluntary commonwealth. I'm not an expert on all this, but there is a fair amount of BS going on on the island at all times. Like a lot of losers, the communist separatists claim that despite the votes of the past, the people of Puerto Rico actually want to become an independent state.

Obviously the US doesn't want PR to become an independent state, it's rowing distance from Cuba and will immediately pass into Cuban influence.

There are also Puerto Ricans, including the governor, who bitch about the level of federal funding to the commonwealth being less than equal to a state of equal size. Well duh, it's not a state and they don't pay federal taxes. The people however, are not off the hook for taxes, because Puerto Rican taxes make up for it.

Then there is the Vieques thing. The people said that wanted the military to stop bombing Vieques, so the military said, "OK, then Fuck you!" And basically closed Roosevelt Roads.