1. #1 This is disgusting - on Rachel Maddow right now....... Oklahoma's....abortions 
    That's right. It's a "crime", "Horrendous" and "backwards" to require a woman to see the evidence, the scientific truth that abortion is killing an unborn human child.

link

Joanie Baloney Donating Member (656 posts) Wed Apr-28-10 09:55 PM
    Original message
    This is disgusting - on Rachel Maddow right now

Edited on Wed Apr-28-10 09:58 PM by Joanie Baloney
    A new law passed in Oklahoma over the Governor's veto - women getting abortions (the few, I'm sure), must receive an intra-vaginal ultrasound before the procedure and the monitor will be placed so the woman can view it. The wonderful folks in Oklahoma said "the woman can avert here eyes" ...oh , wow! Thanks so much, assholes.

Horrendous!

As Rachel put it, this is Oklahoma's version of 'choice'.

:cry:

-JB

(editing to add 'Maddow' cuz I just read the Snuggie thread.)
    DesertFlower Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-28-10 09:56 PM
    Response to Original message
    1. i just saw it. appalling.
    Raven Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-28-10 09:59 PM
    5. I think we need an underground railroad for pregnant women in OK

The answer for them is to leave the state for medical care elsewhere...when do you bet OK will stop women at the borders?
    glinda Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-28-10 10:06 PM
    Response to Reply #5
    13. Don't you get it? They are going to drive this until it is everywhere.... they must be

stopped on many fronts. Am not sure how to do it but the Republicans are running ramshod all over everyone else's choice's in this Country.

They are using aggressive and hostile tactics on everything. They are NOT going to stop. They must be stopped and the Dems are going to have to do something or else it will just keep getting worse.
    What's this? A tactic admission that if some women really see what they are aborting they will change their mind.....and that is "running ramshod all over their choice".
    williesgirl Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Apr-28-10 10:01 PM
    7. Women in OK, whether pro-choice or not, should start boycotting

everything until this is repealed. It's an insult to every female regardless of age, religion etc. They suck big time! Can't figure out why anyone would want to live in such a backward state. And, I live in VA and can still say that - but probably not for long. We have another almost 4 yrs of this asshole Gov and AG. rec'd
    Ahhh....the Governor vetoed this, and I don't think the AG had anything to do with it.

Baby boy survives for nearly two days after abortion

Inside a woman it is an abortion. Outside a woman it is homicide. A murdered woman carrying a wanted pregnancy constitutes a double homicide. Make up your minds people. Thanks.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Baby boy survives for nearly two days after abortion

Inside a woman it is an abortion. Outside a woman it is homicide. A murdered woman carrying a wanted pregnancy constitutes a double homicide. Make up your minds people. Thanks.
    I saw that story - it's heartbreaking. Had the priest not gone to the child's side to pray, it's unlikely anyone would have noticed his struggle.

Really, we all have to be grown-up about this. You can't label a conception "a bunch of random cells" when the child is destined for death and then run around the office waving your sonogram pix when the child is allowed to live.

If the country feels that women should have the right to kill their own children as long as it happens internally, then let's just say that. Women get to kill unborn children.

But let's not pretend that a child magically becomes endrometrial tissue just because a woman won't take the child to term and hand it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I saw that story - it's heartbreaking. Had the priest not gone to the child's side to pray, it's unlikely anyone would have noticed his struggle.

Really, we all have to be grown-up about this. You can't label a conception "a bunch of random cells" when the child is destined for death and then run around the office waving your sonogram pix when the child is allowed to live.

If the country feels that women should have the right to kill their own children as long as it happens internally, then let's just say that. Women get to kill unborn children.

But let's not pretend that a child magically becomes endrometrial tissue just because a woman won't take the child to term and hand it off.
    Precisely. Well said, Ginger.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Precisely. Well said, Ginger.
    Thanks. I've never understood the squeamishness these people have. If the conception is not a person and if the mother doesn't believe in any Sky God deal, then why be coy? It's an 'inconvenient potential human' and she's an independent actor who decides which of her conceived descendents are allowed to live.

I never heard of Genghis Khan doing any soul-searching over this issue and he was big on agnosticism, utilitarianism, and eugenics.

Well, at least the state of Oklahoma isn't using the Clockwork Orange method of viewing the ultrasound. I personally think that the intent behind these kind of laws is to require the abortion clinic to perform a medically unnecessary procedure and add costs to abortions that will either be passed on to the patient or the clinic will absorb. The anti abortion forces probably hope that will cause the clinics financial problems. It'll probably get overturned by a higher court at some point.

We have a law in Michigan that requires a 24 hour waiting period, after the clinic gives a woman a packet of information about the possible negative consequences of abortion. There is no requirement that she actually reads it, though. I think all that kind of stuff is an insult to a woman's intelligence, to be honest.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Raven Donating Member (1000+ posts)
    Wed Apr-28-10 09:59 PM
    5. I think we need an underground railroad for pregnant women who want to kill their babies in OK
    Fixed for accuracy.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

The thing that bothers me about abortion being a choice is this: To the left, aborting a baby is a woman's choice. It isn't the child's choice. And abortions are a matter of convenience. And when a woman has an abortion, it's carried out by a doctor who in affect is an executioner. However, most leftists are staunchly against the death penalty. In this sense, the perp chose to take another human life. And yet the left feels it is some sort of evil to execute a convicted murderer. An argument that is often used is the possibility of killing an innocent person. So, there's my boggle. They have no problem with killing truly innocent babies yet they have a huge issue in killing a murderer in fear that there's a chance that that person might be innocent. This is just another reason why I can't stand the left. They are always, ALWAYS on the wrong side of the issues.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.