Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    A lot of these comments seem to presume that it has been a prediction of global warming, that sea ice melts would cause sea levels to rise significantly. This isnt really the case.

    There has been some thought that it would rise a little as sea ice melts, because fresh water ice apparently displaces less ocean water than its volume. But the contribution from this effect has never been predicted to be very large (a cm or two), at least not that I have ever seen.
    Yet St Gore predicted 20 FOOT sea level rises.

    Gore lied. Jones lied.The IPCC lied.

    Thatisall.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post


    Notice all the green on the outside of the thick white lines? That was unsubmerged land 18,000 years ago during the maximum extent of the ice age.

    Those white lines are were the sea level is now with all that ice melted.
    I think the difference can be explained by "sea ice" vs "land based" ice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Yet St Gore predicted 20 FOOT sea level rises.
    Oh dear, you seem to have jumped to the hasty conclusion that since sea ice hasnt been predicted to be a major contributer to sea level rise, that the predictions of sea level rise are absurd or false. But all it really means is that sea ice melt wasnt predicted to be the cause. Most ice, however, is on land, and would contribute to drastic sea level rise, if melted.

    Once again, another trivial error from Sonna that would embarass any person, even of dim intellect, but his obliviousness comes to the rescue!

    And quite frankly, I have consulted the words of Al Gore exactly zero times while learning about global warming. So I don't give a shit what he says, right or wrong, crazy or sane.

    Gore lied.
    Maybe, but irrelevant.

    Thatisall.
    I hope so, for your sake.
    Last edited by wilbur; 05-22-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    With traditional lonely polar bear pic at the link.
    I hope that dude is getting a residual.

    Is it me or does he look like he's posing? :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    Once again, another trivial error from Sonna that would embarass any person, even of dim intellect, but his obliviousness comes to the rescue!
    A trivial error? Gore predicted 20 FOOT sea rises

    FACT

    The REALITY is that the sea may rise one CENTIMETRE.

    But all it really means is that sea ice melt wasnt predicted to be the cause. Most ice, however, is on land, and would contribute to drastic sea level rise, if melted.
    You mean like the doomsayer Himalaya claims that were proved to be yet another lie?

    And quite frankly, I have consulted the words of Al Gore exactly zero times while learning about global warming. So I don't give a shit what he says, right or wrong, crazy or sane.
    You have already stated and admitted you have ZERO qualifications in climate science or any science for that matter, so therefore you are in no position to lecture or "educate" anyone.

    Opinions are like assholes, except you have way too many of both.

    Sod off, swampy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    A trivial error? Gore predicted 20 FOOT sea rises

    FACT

    The REALITY is that the sea may rise one CENTIMETRE.
    Gore just miscalculated the conversion from centimeters to feet. I could happen to anyone. :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    A trivial error? Gore predicted 20 FOOT sea rises
    The error is yours, I'll explain again, idiot. It might be Gores too, but who the hell cares?

    The REALITY is that the sea may rise one CENTIMETRE.
    It may rise one centimeter when only considering sea ice, stupid fool. Melting ice on land (glaciers, etc) has always been the worry, ignorant twat. Always.

    You have already stated and admitted you have ZERO qualifications in climate science or any science for that matter, so therefore you are in no position to lecture or "educate" anyone.

    Opinions are like assholes, except you have way too many of both.

    Sod off, swampy.
    All of the skeptics you quote and listen too and often quote, like Alan Watts, Rush Limbaugh, Ross McKitrick, Lord Monkton (basically the whole denialist cabal) have no official qualifications either, dipshit. You'd never ask for their credentials though, would you, sack of shit?

    However, this doesn't matter - your errors are so profoundly basic and magnificently stupid, no climate science degree (nor a degree of any sort) is required to point them out - one simply needs a tiny amount of basic reading comprehension, at say, the level of the 5th grade or so.

    You mistook the fact that sea ice isnt expected to contribute to sea level rise, to mean that no ice is expected to contribute to sea level rise. Its not my unqualified opinion that you are wrong here- its incontrovertible fact. Take a moment to let it sink in, just how stupid you are... seriously, think on it, if you can. Its amazing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,680
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    The error is yours, I'll explain again, idiot. It might be Gores too, but who the hell cares?



    It may rise one centimeter when only considering sea ice, stupid fool. Melting ice on land (glaciers, etc) has always been the worry, ignorant twat. Always.



    All of the skeptics you quote and listen too and often quote, like Alan Watts, Rush Limbaugh, Ross McKitrick, Lord Monkton (basically the whole denialist cabal) have no official qualifications either, dipshit. You'd never ask for their credentials though, would you, sack of shit?

    However, this doesn't matter - your errors are so profoundly basic and magnificently stupid, no climate science degree (nor a degree of any sort) is required to point them out - one simply needs a tiny amount of basic reading comprehension, at say, the level of the 5th grade or so.

    You mistook the fact that sea ice isnt expected to contribute to sea level rise, to mean that no ice is expected to contribute to sea level rise. Its not my unqualified opinion that you are wrong here- its incontrovertible fact. Take a moment to let it sink in, just how stupid you are... seriously, think on it, if you can. Its amazing.
    Gosh him make Wilbur mad!:eek: potty mouth.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    All of the skeptics you quote and listen too and often quote, like Alan Watts, Rush Limbaugh, Ross McKitrick, Lord Monkton (basically the whole denialist cabal) have no official qualifications either, dipshit. You'd never ask for their credentials though, would you, sack of shit?
    I dont need to..all I need do is look at the massively mounting pile of evidence, lies, mistruths, omissions and out and out fabrications.

    As for why they do it, well let's just say that Michael Mann, a major panic monger and author of the now fully discredited hockey stick, just got a 1.8 million dollar grant to study what exactly?? With his co researcher Matthew Thomas

    "If we were to go back to the 1900s with the correct climate change predictions for the 20th century, modellers would predict expansion and worsening of malaria and they would have been wrong, and we believe they are wrong now." That's because despite global warming for the past 30 years, the geographic extent of malaria has lessened, leading logical thinkers to guess that climate change has not worsened the spread of malaria.
    So they get over a million dollars to research something we already know, that malaria is not worsening and there is no link to so called "climate change"

    However, this doesn't matter - your errors are so profoundly basic and magnificently stupid, no climate science degree (nor a degree of any sort) is required to point them out - one simply needs a tiny amount of basic reading comprehension, at say, the level of the 5th grade or so.
    You mean likes reading Jone's lies? The fabrications? Deliberate destruction of data? Deliberate avoidance of FoI requiests and then destroying data rather than have it checked?

    You mean like the "models" that are based on data no longer available and can only be checked by using a time machine?


    You mistook the fact that sea ice isnt expected to contribute to sea level rise, to mean that no ice is expected to contribute to sea level rise. Its not my unqualified opinion that you are wrong here- its incontrovertible fact. Take a moment to let it sink in, just how stupid you are... seriously, think on it, if you can. Its amazing.
    I simply state that Gore, who started this panic mongering, claimed there would be 20 foot sea rises.

    He lied.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHWvHVjhTs
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 05-23-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    # The claim: Melting in Greenland or West Antarctica will cause sea levels to rise up to 20 feet in the near future. The truth: The Intergovernmental Panel On Climate Change concluded that sea levels might rise 20 feet over millennia -- and it waffled on that prediction. The IPCC envisions a rise of no more than 7 inches to 23 inches by 2100 [which follows the natural trend and is right where it should be]. Gore's claim is "a very disturbing misstatement of the science," John Day, who argued the British case, says in Not Evil Just Wrong. The judge said Gore's point "is not in line with the scientific consensus.

    # The claim: Polar bears are drowning because they have to swim farther to find ice. The truth: Justice Burton noted that the only study citing the drowning of polar bears (four of them) blamed the deaths on a storm, not ice that is melting due to manmade global warming. The Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, furthermore, found that the current bear population is 20,000-25,000, up from 5,000-10,000 in the 1950s and 1960s. Day says in Not Evil Just Wrong that the appeal to polar bears is "a very clever piece of manipulation."

    # The claim: Global warming spawned Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The truth: "It is common ground that there is insufficient evidence to show that," Burton wrote in his ruling. A May 2007 piece in New Scientist refuted the Katrina argument as a "climate myth" because it's impossible to tie any single weather event to global warming.

    # The claim: Increases in temperature are the result of increases in carbon dioxide. The truth: Burton questioned the two graphs Gore used in An Inconvenient Truth. Gore argued that there is "an exact fit" between temperature and CO2, Burton said, but his graphs didn't support that conclusion. Recent data also do not support it: The global temperature has been declining for about a decade, even as CO2 levels continue rising.

    # The claim: The snow on Mount Kilimanjaro is melting because of global warming. The truth: The melting has been under way for more than a century -- long before SUVs and jumbo jets -- and appears to be the result of other causes. Justice Burton noted that scientists agree the melting can't be blamed primarily on "human-induced climate change."

    # The claim: Lake Chad is disappearing because of global warming. The truth: Lake Chad is losing water, and humans are contributing to the losses. But the humans in the lake's immediate vicinity, rather than mankind as a whole using fossil fuels, are to blame. Burton cited factors like population, overgrazing and regional climate variability.

    # The claim: People are being forced to evacuate low-lying Pacific atolls, islands of coral that surround lagoons, because of encroaching ocean waters. The truth: By their very nature, atolls are susceptible to rising sea levels. But Burton said pointedly in his ruling, "There is no evidence of any such evacuation having yet happened."

    # The claim: Coral reefs are bleaching and putting fish in jeopardy. The truth: In his ruling, Burton emphasized the IPCC's finding that bleaching could kill coral reefs -- if they don't adapt. A report released this year shows that reefs already are thriving in waters as hot as some people say ocean waters will be 100 years from now. Burton also said it is difficult to separate coral stresses such as over-fishing from any changes in climate.

    # The claim: Global warming could stop the "ocean conveyor," triggering another ice age in Western Europe. The truth: Once again, Gore's allies at the IPCC disagree with that argument. Burton cited the panel in concluding that "it is very unlikely that the ocean conveyor ... will shut down in the future." The fact that the scientific understanding of how the conveyor belt works remains unsettled further exposes the flaw in Gore's claim
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •