Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Doesn't The Gulf Oil Rig Explosion Seem Fishy To Anyone? 
    I dunno. For years these rigs have been up and running with nary a problem. They even made it through Katrina relatively unscathed. Now, after Obama proclaimed that we were going to do more drilling off shore, one suddenly explodes? I believe this was sabotage by the environmentalists. Even though they knew it would pose a serious threat to the ecosystem of the Gulf, it is a means to an end. Am I alone here?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Sure, there is a possibility for it, but I'm not gonna bite any of these theories until there is evidence.

Also, according to The Minerals Management Service, there was 39 fires or explosions reported from off shore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico in the first 5 months of 2009 alone. So I don't think this is entirely unprecedented.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/21/oil...ex.html?hpt=T1
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I dunno. For years these rigs have been up and running with nary a problem. They even made it through Katrina relatively unscathed. Now, after Obama proclaimed that we were going to do more drilling off shore, one suddenly explodes? I believe this was sabotage by the environmentalists. Even though they knew it would pose a serious threat to the ecosystem of the Gulf, it is a means to an end. Am I alone here?
    It is to coincidental, so was the coal mine accident!

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Sure, there is a possibility for it, but I'm not gonna bite any of these theories until there is evidence.

Also, according to The Minerals Management Service, there was 39 fires or explosions reported from off shore rigs in the Gulf of Mexico in the first 5 months of 2009 alone. So I don't think this is entirely unprecedented.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/21/oil...ex.html?hpt=T1
    But none of this magnitude. A fire on an oil rig is as common as a flood on a boat. It happens. you're dealing with a fuel source so fires and small explosions are going to happen. However, it just seems fishy that after it was said that we were going to do more drilling, not to mention it was the day before Earth Day, we have a massive explosion big enough to sink the thing. Let me put it this way. It's probably a coincidence but I won't be shocked if something comes from it.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I will need some evidence before I indulge in that type of speculation. Occam's Razor...

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

But none of this magnitude. A fire on an oil rig is as common as a flood on a boat. It happens. you're dealing with a fuel source so fires and small explosions are going to happen. However, it just seems fishy that after it was said that we were going to do more drilling, not to mention it was the day before Earth Day, we have a massive explosion big enough to sink the thing. Let me put it this way. It's probably a coincidence but I won't be shocked if something comes from it.
    I find it equally unlikely that a team of ecoterrorists managed to infilitrate enough explosives onto that rig without anyone noticing. It's a big ass structure that as you so accurately pointed out withstood a force like Katrina. Your every day pipe bomb isn't going to do that type of damage. 120 some odd workers on that rig, it seems unlikely that this was sabatoge.

I've read that there was issues of pressure in a new construction, and they think it may have been a massive blowout resulting from that.

Also, Huffington Post is reporting that Halliburton may be responisble. :p

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_558481.html
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I find it equally unlikely that a team of ecoterrorists managed to infilitrate enough explosives onto that rig without anyone noticing. It's a big ass structure that as you so accurately pointed out withstood a force like Katrina. Your every day pipe bomb isn't going to do that type of damage. 120 some odd workers on that rig, it seems unlikely that this was sabatoge.

I've read that there was issues of pressure in a new construction, and they think it may have been a massive blowout resulting from that.

Also, Huffington Post is reporting that Halliburton may be responisble. :p

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_558481.html

"JIHAD! JIHAD!!!"

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

They really wouldn't need to secret all that much explosives on the rig - just enough in just the right place is all they would have needed. But I do find the timing to be VERY suspect - and the fact that ALL the fail-safes happened to . . . well . . . fail . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Never smoke the whole bag at once.
    Last edited by M21; 04-30-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

The timing seems a little suspect, but as djones says, without evidence I am going to refrain from pondering conspiracy theories.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers