Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Deputy shot; illegal immigrants suspected 
    How long before the libs claim this was retaliation for the Arizona law and the shooters were justified

PHOENIX - A veteran sheriff's deputy was shot and wounded Friday after encountering a group of suspected illegal immigrants who apparently had been hauling bales of marijuana along a major smuggling corridor in the Arizona desert- a violent episode that comes amid a heated national debate over immigration.

State and federal law enforcement agencies deployed helicopters and scores of officers in pursuit of the suspects after the deputy was shot with an AK-47 on Friday afternoon, and the search continued into the night. Deputy Louie Puroll, 53, had a chunk of skin torn from just above his left kidney, but the wound was not serious. He was released Friday night from Casa Grande Regional Medical Center.

The shooting was likely to add fuel to an already fiery national debate sparked last week by the signing of an Arizona law aimed at cracking down on illegal immigration in the state.
    Puroll was found in the desert after a frantic hourlong search, suffering from a gunshot wound, Pinal County sheriff's Lt. Tamatha Villar said. The 15-year department veteran had been performing smuggling interdiction work before finding the bales of marijuana and encountering the five suspected illegal immigrants, two armed with rifles.

"He was out on his routine daily patrol in the area when he encountered a load of marijuana out in the desert. He obviously confronted the individuals and took fire," Villar told The Associated Press. "I was speaking with him just a bit ago, and he's doing fantastic."

The deputy was alone about five miles from a rest stop along Interstate 8, about halfway between Phoenix and Tucson. The area is a well-known smuggling corridor for drugs and illegal immigrants headed from Mexico to Phoenix and the U.S. interior.

"Over the past 12 months we've seen an increase in the amount of drugs, and an increase in violence that has been going on in this particular corridor," Villar told KPNX.
    Whole story is here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Mexican drug cartels get over $8 billion per year from Marijuana sales to Americans. This is over 2.5 times the amount they get from Cocaine.

Our broken drug policy funds these cartels, they are well armed with military-grade weapons, and they don't come cheap.

We are funding a dangerous lawless military-grade operation because we don't want Joe Six Pack smoking a joint on his sofa after work.

Legalize it, tax it, regulate it.

Bring in money to the state, lower the decifit, keep the drugs out of the hands of children, and cut off a major source of funding to these outlaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Legalize it, tax it, regulate it.

Bring in money to the state, lower the decifit, keep the drugs out of the hands of children, and cut off a major source of funding to these outlaws.
    So, your solution to illegal activity is "Just make it Legal, then people wont be breaking the law". How moronic, let's make it legal to drink alcohol and operate a vehicle, then we won't have so many people in jail for DUI.

Get real.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    So, your solution to illegal activity is "Just make it Legal, then people wont be breaking the law".
    No. That's not my solution to "illegal activity". That's my solution to this particular illegal activity. They are not all the same.

How moronic, let's make it legal to drink alcohol and operate a vehicle, then we won't have so many people in jail for DUI.

Get real.
    Are you really making this argument?

I'm talking about making marijuana legal for people 21 and up, for their own private use in their homes, smoking and driving still being illegal.

If you think that an adult smoking a joint in his own living room is similar to or as dangerous as a drunk driver then you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

It's not just stupid and pointless to have it illegal (there is no sensible reason for it, when we allow alcohol and tobacco which are both FAR more dangerous to individuals and to society), I mean that alone is enough reason to legalize it.

However, the demand is there, people want marijuana and they will buy marijuana, so not only is it a stupid law but when you prohibit the legal sale of marijuana, then all of the profits go to dangerous violent drug cartels, instead of local business owners.

1. The prohibition of marijuana is stupid, makes no sense, and infringes on individual liberties (I would think the libertarian Tea Party would be VERY strong about Big Government telling you what you can and can't put into your own body).

2. Current drug policy benefits the enemy, we are funding the very people we are fighting.

Sonnabend
    keep the drugs out of the hands of children
    Good luck with that. You may as well try to stop the sun from rising.

If you think that an adult smoking a joint in his own living room is similar to or as dangerous as a drunk driver then you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
    It's called drug driving and marijuana stays in the system for a long time. He smokes a legal joint at home then gets into a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    No. That's not my solution to "illegal activity". That's my solution to this particular illegal activity. They are not all the same.

Are you really making this argument?

I'm talking about making marijuana legal for people 21 and up, for their own private use in their homes, smoking and driving still being illegal.

It's not just stupid and pointless to have it illegal (there is no sensible reason for it, when we allow alcohol and tobacco which are both FAR more dangerous to individuals and to society), I mean that alone is enough reason to legalize it.

However, the demand is there, people want marijuana and they will buy marijuana, so not only is it a stupid law but when you prohibit the legal sale of marijuana, then all of the profits go to dangerous violent drug cartels, instead of local business owners.

1. The prohibition of marijuana is stupid, makes no sense, and infringes on individual liberties (I would think the libertarian Tea Party would be VERY strong about Big Government telling you what you can and can't put into your own body).

2. Current drug policy benefits the enemy, we are funding the very people we are fighting.
    STOOOOOOPID:D
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Good luck with that. You may as well try to stop the sun from rising.

We can never totally stop it from happening, but drug dealers do not check for ID.

Ask any 19 year old what is easier for them to get: Marijuana or Alcohol.

For the majority, it's easier to get marijuana because it's just some guy on a corner or a college student in an apartment filled with pinball machines who is selling it, rather than a reputable business owner operating out in the open.

It's called drug driving and marijuana stays in the system for a long time. He smokes a legal joint at home then gets into a car.
    The active parts of marijuana only have an effect for a few hours, just like a couple of beers. The metabolite of THC is what stays in the system for a long time, but this is not psychoactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    STOOOOOOPID:D
    Brilliant counter-argument. I can see you have put thought into this and are open to new ideas.