Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Wildlife documentaries infringe animals' privacy, says report 

Wildlife documentary makers are infringing animals' rights to privacy by filming their most private and intimate moments, according to a new study.

Footage of animals giving birth in their burrows or mating crosses an ethical line that film-makers should respect, according to Brett Mills, a lecturer in film studies at the University of East Anglia.

Mills compiled a report on animals' rights to privacy after reviewing scenes from the BBC's 2009 wildlife series "Nature's Great Events". Among the offending footage was film of a narwhal whale that appeared to have retreated from view beneath the Arctic ice sheet.

"Instead of thinking we'll leave it alone, film-makers decide the only solution is to develop new technology so they can film it," Mills said.

"We have an assumption that humans have some right to privacy, so why do we not assume that for other species, particularly when they are engaging in behaviour that suggests they don't want to be seen?" ...
    link

Just plain nuts. :eek:

You have got to be shitting me.

Footage of animals giving birth in their burrows or mating crosses an ethical line that film-makers should respect, according to Brett Mills, a lecturer in film studies at the University of East Anglia.
    That university never ceases to add to its credibility and prestige, does it?
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Banned
    In Florda. Out smacking around Useful Idiots
    Oh Lawdy. Do you think 2 monkeys doing the nasty give a rat's ass if they're being filmed? Animals aren't even aware of what a camera is. :eek: This is just another attempt to imprint human morality and values onto animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    You have got to be shitting me.

That university never ceases to add to its credibility and prestige, does it?
    It's not having a good year . :D

BTW I forgot to add this in the OP

[youtube]D6nottAilQw[/youtube]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    It's not having a good year . :D

BTW I forgot to add this in the OP

[youtube]D6nottAilQw[/youtube]
    :D

That's Rowan Atkinson in the gorilla suit! I'd know that voice anywhere. :D

Quote Originally Posted by ColonialMarine0431 View Post
    :D

That's Rowan Atkinson in the gorilla suit! I'd know that voice anywhere. :D

I think that sketch is the funniest thing he ever did. I can't recall much of the show even though I was a fan at the time, but that sticks in the memory.

That was hilarious, Bijou! I am amazed that I had seen that sketch before.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Banned
    "Wild?! I was absolutely livid" :p
    Last edited by ColonialMarine0431; 05-02-2010 at 05:19 PM.

lmao

Wait a minute - if animals have a right to privacy during acts/behaviors they might not want to perform in view of others, doesn't that mean that humans also have that right?

So, if I'm robbing a 7/11, I absolutely don't want other humans seeing me do this. Is it okay to legally prevent the store owner from installing security cameras? Can I shoot the witnesses?