Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 UC Berkeley students begin hunger strike 
    link

05-03) 20:04 PDT BERKELEY -- A group of UC Berkeley students started a hunger strike Monday to demand that the university oppose the new Arizona immigration law, drop disciplinary charges against protesters from the occupation of Wheeler Hall earlier this year, rehire laid-off janitors, and make the campus a sanctuary for undocumented immigrants.
    Latino groups on the Cal campus called the hunger strike at noon Monday. The strikers have set up camp in front of California Hall.

Mayra Gonzalez, a spokeswoman for the Cal Latino community but not a hunger striker herself, said 20 protesters will not to eat until their demands are met. The hunger strikers were joined Monday afternoon and evening by as many as 75 supporters. Protesters and hunger strikers will camp outside the hall day and night, she said.

I think we should all start handing out FREE MAPS TO BERKELEY

People on a public hunger strikes are fun as hell to mess with. Just set up a BBQ accross from where they are having their pow wow, and grill some steaks and burgers. Or if you know they are a bunch of pansey arse meat haters, grill some veggieburgers instead.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    People on a public hunger strikes are fun as hell to mess with. Just set up a BBQ accross from where they are having their pow wow, and grill some steaks and burgers. Or if you know they are a bunch of pansey arse meat haters, grill some veggieburgers instead.
    That's a great idea. Hey, I forgot who the Western Regional VRWC plans committee chairman is. Come up on the net and let's get this BBQ going. We have a handful of members still in Kalifornia, right?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Ah, a hunger strike.
    You mean like the one Saddam Hussein did when his lawyer was assassinated, which only lasted one meal?
    Or, maybe the ones that Cindy Sheehan and the Code Pinkos did, in which all they really skipped were snacks, and they gave themselves plenty of protein smoothies that were apparently exempted from the hunger strike?
    I'd give it no more than a week before the protestors crack, and most of them will probably cheat and sneak some food even before then. Hunger strikes are something that only professionals can do for prolonged periods, not the spoiled college students doing the protesting here.

Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    Great idea!
    A couple more to go with it:
    1. Set up some large fans by the grills as they are cooking the meat, to blow the smell of the cooking food right at them.
    2. When everything's cooked, walk as close to the protestors as you can (I don't know if maybe the cops will set a barrier around them or something), and begin eating in front of them, slowly savoring every bite and grinning all the while.
    Last edited by movie buff; 05-04-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Okay, yesterday was Day One. I'll get more excited at Day 45.

Usually these college kids have no idea that a hunger strike is designed to end in death in order to shame the power-holder. This worked in India because the Brits of that time were essentially good people who recognized that colonial rule must come to an end. It did not work in the 80s when IRA prisoners tried it because the IRA blew people up.

The last college-kid hunger strike I read about entailed the strikers eating vitamins and drinking fruit juice and energy drinks. Good luck with that.

Pity, though. I'd pay good money to see Berkeley overrun by bored Mexican gang members. :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Pity, though. I'd pay good money to see Berkeley overrun by bored Mexican gang members. :)
    Good deal Lucille. Empty the AZ prisons and bus them to Berkeley.

Oh save the hassel of the whole BBQ set up and call a local Pizza place and just have them deliver 4 pizza's to where ever the protests are going on.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
    Ah, a hunger strike.
    You mean like the one Saddam Hussein did when his lawyer was assassinated, which only lasted one meal?
    Or, maybe the ones that Cindy Sheehan and the Code Pinkos did, in which all they really skipped were snacks, and they gave themselves plenty of protein smoothies that were apparently exempted from the hunger strike?
    I'd give it no more than a week before the protestors crack, and most of them will probably cheat and sneak some food even before then. Hunger strikes are something that only professionals can do for prolonged periods, not the spoiled college students doing the protesting here.

Great idea!
    A couple more to go with it:
    1. Set up some large fans by the grills as they are cooking the meat, to blow the smell of the cooking food right at them.
    2. When everything's cooked, walk as close to the protestors as you can (I don't know if maybe the cops will set a barrier around them or something), and begin eating in front of them, slowly savoring every bite and grinning all the while.

The only hunger striker I've ever heard of who was really serious was Bobby Sands.:D

BSR
    To counter this devestaing hunger strike, BSR will begin his "I dont give a shit if you eat or not" campaign and will ignore said protester. Which one of us will blink first?

The anticipation is killing me !!!!! :eek:

In related news.....

The price of tofu fell to historic lows this week.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad