Thread: Kyl jokes about Obama drowning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Kyl jokes about Obama drowning 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x4366642

Amerigo Vespucci Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Tue May-04-10 12:28 AM
    Original message
    Kyl jokes about Obama drowning

Source: The Hill

Senate Minority Whip Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) got a big laugh on Saturday at a National Republican Senatorial Committee retreat, but his joke definitely wouldn't be funny to some people.

According to a source who attended the meetings, Kyl told the assembled crowd a political version of the classic three-people-in-a-boat joke: "So Obama, Pelosi and Reid are in a row boat, and it springs a leak and starts to sink. Who gets saved?"

Answer: "The American people."

But love it or hate it, it wasn't even Kyl's own joke. The senator poached it from late night TV host Jimmy Kimmel, according to a source.
    One of the first out of the gate tries to show the hypocrisy that is DU.
    qazplm (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Tue May-04-10 12:39 AM
    Response to Original message
    3. eh

if the joke were about Bush we'd all be ok with it.

Not particularly funny, but pretty standard joke.
    Another one that agrees with a "yeah, but..."
    6. if the joke were about Bush we'd all be ok with it.

Edited on Tue May-04-10 12:44 AM by AlbertCat
    True.

But it would have a whole different feel to it... it would be more true, with what we know the Bushies did and did not do.
    That must have offended some of the people over and because they know it is true and cannot refute it they instead attack the DU stats cred of the posters.
    No Elephants Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Tue May-04-10 08:24 AM
    Response to Reply #6
    22. You and qazplm should be speaking only for yourselves, not for "all" at DU

Especially qazplm, whose profile suggests he might not frequent DU enough to know what "we" "all" would have been okay with.

Racial element?
    MadMaddie Donating Member (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Tue May-04-10 01:12 AM
    Response to Reply #3
    10. Sorry, but * life was not threatened over and over day in and day

out. These jokes hold a racial element to them, they are right on the edge and that's why you hear them from political figures.

And lastly, an example of "doublethink".
    Amerigo Vespucci Donating Member (1000+ posts) Journal Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list Click to add this author to your Ignore list Tue May-04-10 01:18 AM
    Response to Reply #10
    11. I don't recall ANY of that kind of stuff on DU during Bush's "reign"

We all said some pretty strong stuff, but I don't recall anything written here that wished him personal harm.

Unless you count wanting to see him behind bars.

I don't call that wishing him harm, I call it justice served.
    And more posts along those lines. DUmmies, at the upper right corner of your website there is a search bar. Type in the word "pretzel" and get back to us...mmmKay?

BSR
    I wonder how the weather is in the alternate universe these people live in?

Quote Originally Posted by BSR View Post
    Cloudy with a chance of meatballs. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by BSR View Post
    Hot.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by hoplophobe View Post
    Racial element?
    Yeah, considering that two white politicians are also included on it, there isn't any real racial element to it. Wait, I forgot: To the DUmmies and the rest of the Obama cultists, any joke at Obama's expense or criticism of any of his policies is automatically racist in nature.
    "The senator poached it from late night TV host Jimmy Kimmel, according to a source."
    Well, at least it's a sign that Kimmel (Who I remember being a pretty funny guy from his days hosting 'The Man Show' with Adam Carolla) is maturing a little. After all, a couple years ago, he was quoted as saying something about how he didn't think he could make jokes about Obama on his show because the guy was "Practically perfect in every way." I guess now that he's seen what Obama has done as president, Kimmel's changed his mind about that.
    "We all said some pretty strong stuff, but I don't recall anything written here that wished him personal harm."
    Oh, please!
    There have been plenty of DU threads which openly wished death on him, his family, and everyone who agrees with him. I seem to recall one DU thread we looked at here in which the DUmmies talked about which movie character's death scene they'd like to see inflicted on Bush, Cheney, and the rest (Some of the charming suggestions they put up before the thread got deleted included having them melt like the Wicked Witch of the West, having them explode like Mr. Big in "Live and Let Die," and a DUmmy asking if there are any movies in which a character drowns in a vat of oil, because he/ she felt that would be the ultimate way to kill Bush) .

It's the kind of joke people tell about politicians.

It's certainly not racist-for it to be so, there would have to be either a stereotype involved, or some kind of racist languaged.

Resident Grump
    10. Sorry, but * life was not threatened over and over day in and day
    Yes it was, frequently, and you lot did it more than once.

out. These jokes hold a racial element to them, they are right on the edge and that's why you hear them from political figures.
    Drop off.

This is one of my personal favorites:

What is the difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead politician in the road? There are skid marks leading up to the skunk.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This is one of my personal favorites:

What is the difference between a dead skunk in the road and a dead politician in the road? There are skid marks leading up to the skunk.
    I hate skunks right now!:mad:

This just goes to show that not only are these people hypocrites, their skin is about as thick as the skin on a grape. It's nice to see them completely bastardize the term racism to the point that it no longer has any meaning. Can't say we didn't see this coming though.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy