Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Movie Scenes That Had You Riveted 
    There are countless movies out there and we've each probably have seen our fair share. Bad movies. Good movies. Great movies. But sometimes a single scene defines a movie. For me, one of things I find enjoyable about a movie is the dialog. Sometimes the dialog can make the movie. James Earl Jones' Terrance Mann talking about baseball. Or even Gene Wilder's Waco Kid telling Sheriff Bart what happened to him. But then there's one of the greatest speeches in the history of movies. 35 years ago we were introduced to a shark named Bruce and who scared millions enough to never go into the water again. Jaws is bar none one of the greatest movies ever made and the cast was nothing short of spectacular. But the scene that had me riveted was when Quint, played by the great Robert Shaw, gives a speech about the very real incident involving the U.S.S. Indianapolis. You almost believed that the character was really on that boat. Here is the dialog courtesy of IMDb:
    Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte... just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in 12 minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. 13-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by looking from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know, was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin', so we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know, it was kinda like old squares in the battle like you see in the calendar named "The Battle of Waterloo" and the idea was: shark comes to the nearest man, that man he starts poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark go away... but sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark... he's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living... until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then... ah then you hear that terrible high-pitched screamin'. The ocean turns red, and despite all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. You know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men. I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand. I know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday morning, Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Boatswain's mate. I thought he was asleep. I reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up, down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well, he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon, the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us. He swung in low and he saw us... he was a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and he come in low and three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and starts to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened... waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water; 316 men come out and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb.
    Then everything is quiet then we hear whale songs. Spielberg is a freaking genius.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Last edited by Articulate_Ape; 05-04-2010 at 11:43 PM.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

"Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Banned
    The scene from Silence of the Lambs where Jodie Foster interviews Anthony Hopkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Excellent find with this one.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I'm a geek, I know, but the Transformers arrival to Earth always gives me goosebumps....especially when Optimus Prime transforms and leans in to introduce himself with the voice of Peter Cullen.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/117829...ormers_arrival
    Last edited by Zathras; 05-05-2010 at 02:03 AM.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

This whole movie was riviting - but this scene had me on the edge of my seat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0IXHMuy7U
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

But this scene . . . . tops em all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgaPSAGDd0k
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

[youtube]JsBSqrU-vz8[/youtube]