1. #1 Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams.: gay couples reflect the love of God 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s

Gay relationships can "reflect the love of God" in a way that is comparable to marriage, according to the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams.

In a series of letters from 2000 and 2001, when he was still archbishop of Wales, Williams wrote that scriptural prohibitions against homosexuality, such as those in Leviticus, were addressed "to heterosexuals looking for sexual variety in their experience".

In the correspondence, an exchange with an evangelical Christian, Williams argued that passages criticising homosexual activity were not aimed at people who were gay by nature.

"An active sexual relationship between two people of the same sex might therefore reflect the love of God in a way comparable to marriage, if and only if it had about it the same character of absolute covenanted faithfulness."

He also expressed his optimism that the church might change its stance on homosexuality: "The church has shifted its stance on several matters, notably the rightness of lending money at interest and the moral admissibility of contraception, so I am bound to ask if this is another such issue."

Publication of the letters comes days after Williams emerged unscathed from an important summit of the world's Anglican bishops. The conference, which ended last Sunday, was designed to maintain unity in the face of rifts over the ordination of gay bishops and the blessings of same-sex unions.

The letters, which could have wreaked more havoc had they been leaked earlier, are likely to fuel the fury of conservative evangelicals angry with Williams for failing to discipline a US church for consecrating a gay man as bishop of New Hampshire.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...feed=worldnews

No, it does not.

People are born with all sorts of inclinations that are sinful, destructive, or capable of undermining society. The fact that romantic love is part of their lives in no way mitigates their actions. Bonny and Clyde were "in love", Hitler by all accounts "loved" his cousin, Bill Clinton apparently still "loves" Hillary although he banged anything that moved.

Love is simply not enough and the Bible is fairly clear on this point.

Goldwater
    Rowan Williams is a big idiot, regardless of your views on homosexuality he is a terrible leader.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    No, it does not.

People are born with all sorts of inclinations that are sinful, destructive, or capable of undermining society. The fact that romantic love is part of their lives in no way mitigates their actions. Bonny and Clyde were "in love", Hitler by all accounts "loved" his cousin, Bill Clinton apparently still "loves" Hillary although he banged anything that moved.

He's a N....ew Progressive Christian !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    He's a N....ew Progressive Christian !

Actually he is trying to straddle the fence between new progressive and orthodox and thus fails miserably at both.
    "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.
    Revelation 3:15-16
    Last edited by FlaGator; 08-07-2008 at 02:32 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned - Not really Theo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    No, it does not.

QFT +1 Excellent summation.