Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Black Hopefuls Pick This Year in G.O.P. Races 
    Black Hopefuls Pick This Year in G.O.P. Races

By JENNIFER STEINHAUER
    Published: May 4, 2010

Among the many reverberations of President Obama’s election, here is one he probably never anticipated: at least 32 African-Americans are running for Congress this year as Republicans, the biggest surge since Reconstruction, according to party officials.

Allen West, running in Florida, says the notion of racism in the Tea Party movement has been made up by the news media.

But now black Republicans are running across the country — from a largely white swath of beach communities in Florida to the suburbs of Phoenix, where an African-American candidate has raised more money than all but two of his nine (white) Republican competitors in the primary.

Party officials and the candidates themselves acknowledge that they still have uphill fights in both the primaries and the general elections, but they say that black Republicans are running with a confidence they have never had before. They credit the marriage of two factors: dissatisfaction with the Obama administration, and the proof, as provided by Mr. Obama, that blacks can get elected.

“I ran in 2008 and raised half a million dollars, and the state party didn’t support me and the national party didn’t support me,” said Allen West, who is running for Congress in Florida and is one of roughly five black candidates the party believes could win. “But we came back and we’re running and things are looking great.”

But interviews with many of the candidates suggest that they felt empowered by Mr. Obama’s election, that it made them realize that what had once seemed impossible — for a black candidate to win election with substantial white support — was not.

“There is no denying that one of the things that came out of the election of Obama was that you have a lot of African-Americans running in both parties now,” said Vernon Parker, who is running for an open seat in Arizona’s Third District. His competition in the Aug. 24 primary includes the son of former Vice President Dan Quayle, Ben Quayle.
    Good for them! :)

NYT

Banned
    If they believe in the Tea Party philosophy, I am all in. If it's a racial ploy, I hope they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    If they believe in the Tea Party philosophy, I am all in. If it's a racial ploy, I hope they lose.
    I think it's pretty real. If it was a racial ploy, they'd be running as Dems.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    This story came out in DUmmyville recently, and they're apoplectic. But they're mostly sticking to calling any black Republican an "Uncle Tom".
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You are probably right. However, with the anti-incumbency, the possiblity does exist.

Vern Ehlers (R-MI) is retiring, and one of the GOP members running for his seat is black (former Kentwood Mayor Haridman). It would be historically significant for Grand Rapids to have their first black congressman. Incidentally, it's the same congressional seat held by Gerald Ford before he was appointed VP by Nixon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The truth will out. I will see if they join the Congreaaional Black Caucus. It is based on the color of skin. If they join this racist group, they are in it for personal glory and race.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    The truth will out. I will see if they join the Congreaaional Black Caucus. It is based on the color of skin. If they join this racist group, they are in it for personal glory and race.
    Man, and I thought that I was cynical. Take a chill pill. I think that conservative blacks finding a voice is nothing less than fucking awesome and is the Democratic Party's worst nightmare. The Dems have kept blacks in this country a lower class because that is how Southern Democrats kept them until Republicans brought them kicking and screaming back to the Declaration of Independence.

Will some elected blacks choose to segregate themselves into the Black Caucus? Yeah, probably some will. But it's those in Congress that caucus with the People that are going to have the power very soon. November is closing in and it will be a month that decides whether America, as we have all known it, continues or whether her best days have gone by.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Man, and I thought that I was cynical. Take a chill pill. I think that conservative blacks finding a voice is nothing less than fucking awesome and is the Democratic Party's worst nightmare. The Dems have kept blacks in this country a lower class because that is how Southern Democrats kept them until Republicans brought them kicking and screaming back to the Declaration of Independence.

Will some elected blacks choose to segregate themselves into the Black Caucus? Yeah, probably some will. But it's those in Congress that caucus with the People that are going to have the power very soon. November is closing in and it will be a month that decides whether America, as we have all known it, continues or whether her best days have gone by.
    Well said. We're talking about a group with zero power - not because they are black but because they are blacks with non-plantation views. These people can and should milk the PC power-base for every last advantage. Some few women have done just that and for the same reasons. Conservatives - fiscal, traditional, or social have every right to use the left's playbook. The Left uses ours.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    the biggest surge since Reconstruction, according to party officials.
    we have Hoover to thank for starting the march toward abandoning the Black vote. Many of them are starting to realize that their 80 year marriage to the Dems have gotten them to where they are now. Maybe if a majority of them win they can start waking other black voters up to what Dems haven't done for them or anyone else