Thread: Police shoot dogs in front of children during a raid, confiscated 1 gram of marijuana

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The cops raided her house based only on reports from neighbors?

I guess every state has different laws about such things. I just remember when I would call the Detroit Police about the crack house across the street, they told me that they couldn't raid the house until they had successfully made an undercover buy. Or maybe that's what the judges here require to issue a warrant.
    Merely on neigbhors complaints wouldn't have even gotten a warrant in Florida. It would have given the police cause to watch the house for a while and then raid if they busted a few people leaving the house who claimed to have purchased drugs there. The cops here us to get sued on a regular basis for doing stuff like this that didn't pan out. Now they take better precautions before scheduling something this intrusive.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think it's a total waste of taxpayer's money to prosecute this guy, especially considering how small the amount of marijuana involved was.

I'm not going to be so judgmental about the cops shooting the dogs, when they shouldn't have been raiding the house to begin with. Shooting dogs goes with the territory for police-they have to protect themselves. I wonder how good of a case the cops/prosecutor made to get a warrant to begin with.
    You see a video - the video does not once mention WHY they were there or WHY they were give a warrant now does it? Like everything Wee Wee posts - lots of claims with ZERO evidence.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

If the son of a bitches shot my dog, they'd have a reason to arrest me. I've told several deputies here that if my dog ever bites somebody breaking into my house or doing something they're not suppose to on my property and they come to take my dog, I'll shoot their asses.

You can get away with alot, but don't fuck with my dogs.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Merely on neigbhors complaints wouldn't have even gotten a warrant in Florida. It would have given the police cause to watch the house for a while and then raid if they busted a few people leaving the house who claimed to have purchased drugs there. The cops here us to get sued on a regular basis for doing stuff like this that didn't pan out. Now they take better precautions before scheduling something this intrusive.
    I'm sure they might be more careful now, but this was after what they called a long investigation.They thought an adult was selling drugs to teens but the worst thing the lady was doing was cooking for them.

More of the story

COLUMBIA — When Columbia Police SWAT officers kicked in Jonathan Whitworth's door, they didn't find what they were looking for but drew a worldwide audience.
    Acting on an 8-day-old warrant on Feb. 11, at least eight officers raided Whitworth's home at 1501 Kinloch Court in southwest Columbia on the suspicion that he was dealing a significant amount of marijuana. But police only found a misdemeanor amount of marijuana. The tip on Whitworth came from an informant who the police chief said apparently wasn't consulted before the raid was carried out.

Another problem: During the raid, officers fatally shot Whitworth's pit bull and wounded a Welsh corgi before arresting Whitworth, whose wife and 7-year-old were also home.

Now, as the department nears the end of its internal investigation of the matter, it is facing widening ripples of consequences of a story that has gone viral. A video of the raid had received almost 295,000 views on YouTube as of 8 p.m. Thursday as Whitworth's attorney said his client was contemplating legal action against the department.

"We're reviewing everything right now, and we're keeping every possibility open," Jeff Hilbrenner said. He said Whitworth had not yet filed a formal complaint with the Police Department, and Whitworth's family had been put in an awkward position.

"They know that it’s come to the attention of people all over America," Hilbrenner said. "They’ve been contacted by people they don’t know offering support from all over the country. They don’t want that to be how they’re known. They would prefer to go on living their life as a young couple with a young son."

The attention has been much grimmer for the Police Department. On Thursday afternoon, Chief Ken Burton held a news conference with Mayor Bob McDavid at Columbia City Hall to combat what he repeatedly called the Internet's mixing of "fact with fiction."

"We're getting death threats from literally all over the world," Burton said, declining to release the names of the officers involved.

Burton sought to put an end to rumors that the pit bull was in a cage when the officers shot it. He also said the corgi had been shot in the paw by accident because it was next to the pit bull when the larger dog attacked the officers coming in the front door. The pit bull ran away and again threatened officers, who shot it, Burton said.
    In the video, "you hear that dog (the corgi) screaming, and that isn't pleasant to listen to," Burton said.

As for Whitworth — who pleaded guilty on April 20 to a misdemeanor charge of unlawful use of drug paraphernalia and was fined $300 — Burton said a federal drug conviction and a history of combative arrests prompted the use of heavy police force. Burton regretted the department waited so long to execute the warrant.

"I don’t think we should have run it eight days later," Burton said. "We should have run it that day. We simply didn’t do it. So we own that, and we’re very sorry it turned out the way it did. None of those officers wanted to hurt that dog — or any dog, as a matter of fact — but it was an unfortunate situation.”

As McDavid stood next to him, Burton said he had changed department policy to conduct raids immediately after a search warrant is obtained. Burton said the department moved slowly in Whitworth's case because the SWAT team is made up of part-time members who hold other jobs within the department.
    The whole story is here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    If the son of a bitches shot my dog, they'd have a reason to arrest me. I've told several deputies here that if my dog ever bites somebody breaking into my house or doing something they're not suppose to on my property and they come to take my dog, I'll shoot their asses.

I do love my dogs.

C. S. Lewis

My housing unit in the prison I work is a drug treatment unit. Every single one of them who has a dog, that dog is a pitbull. There is a reason for this. The dog, when trained to do so, is an extremely dangerous weapon. Send the dog after the cops and anyone who has been bit by even a chihuahua knows that when a dog means business, it's bite hurts like hell. Imagine a dog who bites like a vice and holds on just as tight. And the bigger aspect is that, as was said, until the law changes, weed is against the law. It is against the low to possess it, buy it, sell it, and grow it. Do this for a living and suffer the consequences. And perhaps wee wee doesn't see a problem with dealing drugs in front of children.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

My favorite comment from the video said something like:

So the boy and mother are traumitized for life, the dog died an agonizing death, and the guy has a criminal record......Hey, at least no one got high.

The dog was a Welsh Corgi by the way.....real scary dog.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    My housing unit in the prison I work is a drug treatment unit. Every single one of them who has a dog, that dog is a pitbull. There is a reason for this. The dog, when trained to do so, is an extremely dangerous weapon. Send the dog after the cops and anyone who has been bit by even a chihuahua knows that when a dog means business, it's bite hurts like hell. Imagine a dog who bites like a vice and holds on just as tight. And the bigger aspect is that, as was said, until the law changes, weed is against the law. It is against the low to possess it, buy it, sell it, and grow it. Do this for a living and suffer the consequences. And perhaps wee wee doesn't see a problem with dealing drugs in front of children.
    How dare you try and confuse a leftists chosen narrative with trivial FACTS! :mad:

A criminal breaking into your house is one thing. Cops coming in doing their job is another.