Thread: Vietnam, 35 years later

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Vietnam, 35 years later 
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

This is one war that has been so bastardized through revisionist history that it's hard to remember why we were there in the first place. I know this forum isn't supposed to be about politics but never has a conflict been so politicized than the Vietnam war. Now, I was just a young pup at it's end(a month from turning 10 at it's conclusion) and I don't remember a lot about what was going on at the time, however, I've seen and read enough on it to know that the left has used this conflict as a lightening rod for their anti-war movement even to this day even though our retreat(yes, we did retreat) had such an adverse affect on the region that it rivals Stalin and Hitler in it's body count. Ask most liberals about who was responsible for this war and more often than not you will be told it was the Republican Party and more specifically, Nixon even though it's beginnings go back to Kennedy and it was escalated under Johnson. Did we commit some atrocities? Of course we did. The Mai Lei massacre is one example but when you have over 200,000 people in one place, you're going to have a chucklehead or 2. However, the atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge after we left made what we did look like choir practice. And there is no bigger group of veterans that were completely shit upon in this country than Vietnam vets. And the left has yet to apologize for it and never will.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This is one war that has been so bastardized through revisionist history that it's hard to remember why we were there in the first place. I know this forum isn't supposed to be about politics but never has a conflict been so politicized than the Vietnam war. Now, I was just a young pup at it's end(a month from turning 10 at it's conclusion) and I don't remember a lot about what was going on at the time, however, I've seen and read enough on it to know that the left has used this conflict as a lightening rod for their anti-war movement even to this day even though our retreat(yes, we did retreat) had such an adverse affect on the region that it rivals Stalin and Hitler in it's body count. Ask most liberals about who was responsible for this war and more often than not you will be told it was the Republican Party and more specifically, Nixon even though it's beginnings go back to Kennedy and it was escalated under Johnson. Did we commit some atrocities? Of course we did. The Mai Lei massacre is one example but when you have over 200,000 people in one place, you're going to have a chucklehead or 2. However, the atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge after we left made what we did look like choir practice. And there is no bigger group of veterans that were completely shit upon in this country than Vietnam vets. And the left has yet to apologize for it and never will.
    True. Well said.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

I was over there in 68. we beat em to pulp, we were just sittin around playing cards and sun bathing waiting for the surrender. then this idiot LBJ orders a bombing halt. a general stop and pull back. we were stunned !!!! with no heat they re-armed and re-supplyed and started a new offensive. a whole new fuckin' war.

the DNC handed LBJ his walking papers that year.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia

A lot of the photos in that collection really get to me but this one especially. He's a Marine and could kill the hell out of somebody, but he's still a kid.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post

A lot of the photos in that collection really get to me but this one especially. He's a Marine and could kill the hell out of somebody, but he's still a kid.
    I was that kid to. we all were.

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    I was over there in 68. we beat em to pulp, we were just sittin around playing cards and sun bathing waiting for the surrender. then this idiot LBJ orders a bombing halt. a general stop and pull back. we were stunned !!!! with no heat they re-armed and re-supplyed and started a new offensive. a whole new fuckin' war.

the DNC handed LBJ his walking papers that year.
    We won all the battles but lost the war, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    We won all the battles but lost the war, right?
    with one hand tied behind our backs

I like the timing on this shot.

Unaware of incoming enemy round, a South Vietnamese photographer made this picture of a South Vietnamese trooper dug in at Hai Van, South of Hue, Nov. 20, 1972. Camera caught the subsequent explosion before the soldier had time to react. (AP Photo):

No caption necessary, but:

A marine helps his wounded comrade to cover despite North Vietnamese fire during battle on May 15, 1967 in the western sector of "Leatherneck Square" south of the demilitarized zone in South Vietnam. (AP Photo/John Schneider)

Quote Originally Posted by namvet View Post
    with one hand tied behind our backs
    Like Tet.