Thread: Croissants, cheese and foie gras to be taxed? Mon Dieu!

1. #1 Croissants, cheese and foie gras to be taxed? Mon Dieu! 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    French delicacies, including its famous pastries, could be subject to a tax increase

There is a God. After decades of taunting the rest of the world with the cruel boast that the French don't put on weight despite their diet of croissants and camembert, President Nicolas Sarkozy's government has finally admitted that the chic-est people in the world get fat just like the rest of us.

In a move that promises both to debunk the myth that French women, in particular, are naturally slim and devastate foodies around the globe, the French government is reportedly planning a massive tax rise on many of the country’s favourite culinary delights.

Gallic gastronomic icons such as brie, foie gras, pastries as well as dozens of other extra fatty delicacies could be subject to a 14.1% increase in taxes as part of a bid by the French government to keep its nation fit and healthy.

The move comes two years after a government campaign to beat child obesity actually encouraged children to eat sweets.

The report, which was leaked to French newspaper Les Echos, was reportedly commissioned after senators called for a study into the feasibility of nutritional taxes. The findings remain confidential, but the paper reported that the revenue would be put towards filling a huge deficit in the French health care system.

The idea of increasing the sales tax on unhealthy food items – long favoured as staples of French cuisine - already faces stiff opposition from French Budget Minister Eric Woerth.

“It is out of the question to raise sales taxes on food products, even more so given the difficult context of the French population's purchasing power,”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4475579.ece

Are the French getting fat because they are eating too much Brie or because they are eating too much fast food and drinking too many soft drinks?

I doubt that most Americans are overweight because they eat too much Lobster Newberg and Red Velvet cake.
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 08-07-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Are the Frence getting fat because they are eating too much Brie or because they are eating too much fast food and drinking too many soft drinks?

I doubt that most Americans are overweight because they too much Lobster Newberg and Red Velvet cake.
    McDonalds arrived in France quite a while ago and is popular among the French youth. The one in Antibes is always packed. We are, indeed, globalizing the world even as the world globalizes us. :D

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    McDonalds arrived in France quite a while ago and is popular among the French youth.
    I saw a McDonald's on the Champs Elysee on my very first visit to Paris - and that was in 1969!

My dad started working in China in 1978. (They moved there in '82). He couldn't emphasize enough how different things were. I laughed and said "There will be a McDonalds there before you know it". He said NO WAY and bet me100$. He died in 1985.
    McDonald’s opened its first restaurant in Shenzhen, China in 1990. Today there are more than 700 McDonald’s restaurants across China, and more than 50,000 McDonald’s staff.

The problem with fast food that the food elites fail to address is that it is actually fairly tasty. It's cheap, hot, and not nearly as awful as the foodie crowd would like us to believe. Your so-called healthy food, on the other hand, is labor intensive and requires some kind of minimal skill to produce.

In terms of weight loss goals, it's also very bland. Fake salt, fake cheese, and other low calorie fake flavoring just can't do much for a half a baked chicken breast and 2 cups of non-starchy veggies. I don't eat a lot of fast food but even I would be more inclined to eat a cheeseburger than a plate of low salt steamed veggies.