Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Punished? That's a weird way to look at it. Women are designed to have babies. Now, judicious use of birth control can bring that function under a woman's control as to "when" (and sometimes "if") but the natural consequence of sex is reproduction - for both men and women.
    I was borrowing the much-lampooned phrase Obama used about not wanting his daughters "punished" with a baby. I have seen on more than one board (FreeRepublic comes to mind) that women can "escape" the consequences of sex "too easily" now, which I think is a demented way of looking at it.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

The condom didn't ruin marriage?

My mom used the pill in between pregnancies, then after my sister was born, my dad got a vasectomy.

My grandma never had the opportunity to use the pill, as she had her last child in the mid 50s. All of her later pregnancies were affected by Rh incompatiblity, so my two youngest uncles were born hearing impaired. She also had a couple of miscarriages in that time, due to that condition. She used to say that she would have loved to avoid the miscarriages, but that she had no regrets about bringing either uncle into the world and couldn't imagine her life if she had not had them. Of course, they invented Rho-gam in the same era as they invented the pill, so either way, she would have been covered.

I don't blame the pill for the increasing numbers of sexually active young women. Some people blame MTV, some blame music, some blame feminism, and so on. I blame the historically proven reasons-teenage hormones and the tendency that young people have to think that consequences won't happen to them. There's just more of them that are buying into that line of thinking these days.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Then neither can she.
    She is just restating what some sociologists believe. You are defining an issue by your own personal experience. I've driven drunk and I never killed anyone so obviously drunk driving isn't an issue
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Whether or not women SHOULD behave like men, I don't buy the "if she's punished with a baby, she'll behave" school of enforced morality.
    The concept that some have of sexual freedom is that it means more than freedom to have sex with anyone you want. It means freedom from the consequences of sex. Whether she behaves more morally or not is not the question here. Will they (man and woman) behave with an attitude that is more conscious of the potential outcome of their activities?
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    The condom didn't ruin marriage?
    Because most men didn't use them before and especially not after marriage. When the pill was introduced many men took that to mean that they could put the responsibility of birth control strictly in the woman's court.
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    ..., more willing to see female sexuality reduced to just a commodity
    Wait a minute, wasn't it always just that? :p
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Because most men didn't use them before and especially not after marriage. When the pill was introduced many men took that to mean that they could put the responsibility of birth control strictly in the woman's court.
    Damn those pills!

They still don't, hence my commitment to celibacy.

Power CUer
    She is just restating what some sociologists believe. You are defining an issue by your own personal experience. I've driven drunk and I never killed anyone so obviously drunk driving isn't an issue
    She is just as qualified to pass judgment on this as I am. No less - and no more. You tell me which sociologists she has spent long nights studying, and I might concede your point.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken