Thread: Teacher Deems American Flag ‘Offensive’

1. #1 Teacher Deems American Flag ‘Offensive’ 
    Teacher Deems American Flag ‘Offensive’

Todd Starnes

The battle over the American flag has reached a middle school art class in California’s Santa Rita School District where a student was told not to draw Old Glory because it was “offensive,” but another student — in the same class – was praised for drawing a picture of President Obama.

Tracy Hathaway, of Salinas, CA, told FOX News Radio her 13-year-old daughter was ordered to stop drawing the American flag by an art teacher at Gavilan View Middle School.

“She had drawn the flag and was sketching the letters, ‘God bless America,’ when the teacher confronted her,” Hathaway told FOX. “She said, ‘You can’t draw that – that’s offensive.’”

Even more striking, another student in the same art class drew a picture of President Obama and was praised by the teacher.

“The picture of Barack Obama was in red, white and blue hues,” Hathaway said. “The teacher said it was great. But when it comes to the flag – all of a sudden it was offensive?”

Hathaway said she took her concerns to the principal – and he was “floored” and apologized for what happened. He arranged a meeting with the Hathaways and the teacher.

“My husband point-blank asked her what she found offensive about the picture – the American flag or the words, ‘God Bless America,’” she said. “The teacher didn’t say a word.”

Read more: http://www.foxnewsradio.com/2010/05/...#ixzz0nmYJtGlT

And this comment, from the American Thinker, pretty much sums it all up:

Sadly, this type of incident has become rather run-of-the-mill. However, this time there is a twist: another kid in the same art class was lavished with praise for drawing a picture of Barack Obama. On the surface this might seem contradictory, since one would generally assume that if America's flag is offensive then so is its elected president. The only explanation is that in this teacher's assessment America and Obama are antithetical.

Our flag is a symbol of the principles on which America was founded; upon looking at it, one may reflexively recall the phrase "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"; it is a symbol of freedom, individual rights, self-sufficiency, capitalism and prosperity. Obama wants to dismantle and remake America. His sycophants, including this Gavilan Middle School teacher, know it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    I find offensive the fact that the White House is occupied by a bunch of no good, shiftless...I'll stop there but you get the drift.

The principal handled it and the parents were satisfied with the outcome. I assume the child's assignment was accepted and appropriately graded, and the teacher was reprimanded, either verbally or in writing. Maybe even the kid was transferred to another class.

Nutty teacher.

I don't think we had a flag in every classroom at my middle or high schools, but we did in the elementary school, and in the auditoriums and gyms at the upper-level of schools. Plus, in my day, there were plenty of Vietnam Vets in the teaching profession, and most of them had some version of the american flag somewhere in their classrooms, even if it was a cheap, dime-store one sticking out from a cup on his desk. I'm pretty sure I remember drawing flags in grade school for Memorial Day and Veteren's Day projects. We had flag ceremonies in Girl Scouts, and had to learn all the proper etiquette for flag-handling. My 10 year old neice is learning all that in Girl Scouts, now.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We had flag ceremonies in Girl Scouts, and had to learn all the proper etiquette for flag-handling. My 10 year old neice is learning all that in Girl Scouts, now.
    at lest she's learning something worth while in GS, it's by FAR not the same organization that you grew up in.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My 10 year old neice is learning all that in Girl Scouts, now.
    Good thing too because she is not going to learn that in school.

However, Hathaway said her daughter has yet to receive an apology – and in fact – the teacher told the girl that she should not have gotten her parents involved in the matter.

Read more: http://www.foxnewsradio.com/2010/05/...#ixzz0nsQKluqM
    This teacher needs to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    This teacher needs to be fired.
    He also need to be taken out back and "schooled."
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    at lest she's learning something worth while in GS, it's by FAR not the same organization that you grew up in.

There is the national organization, then there are the local councils. If good people are on the local council, you will have a good Girl Scout organization. It's really best when the moms of the scouts are the main leaders in the troops, with the young single volunteer women as assistants. My sister also lives in a small town, so she knows everyone involved.

I was a scout from 4th to 7th grade. In middle school, most kids stopped with scouts. We still wore our uniforms to meeting in junior scouts, too. The kids now only wear their uniforms for special occasions.