Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Jobless Claims Hit Six-Year High 
    By BRIAN BLACKSTONE
    August 7, 2008 10:32 a.m.

WASHINGTON -- The number of U.S. workers filing new claims for unemployment benefits unexpectedly rose last week to a six-year high, as the recent extension of unemployment benefits continued to draw new claimants into the system.

Still, those technical issues aside the numbers, which included another rise in continuing claims, suggest the outlook for labor markets and consumer spending remains bleak as households face high energy prices and falling home values.

Separately, a forecasting tool for sales of previously owned homes rose in June, but remains well below levels from one year ago.

Initial claims for unemployment benefits rose 7,000 to 455,000 after seasonal adjustments in the week ended Aug. 2, the Labor Department said Thursday. That's the highest level since March 2002. Economists in a Dow Jones Newswires survey expected a 20,000 decline.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1218...googlenews_wsj
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Not to worry - the $600 Stimulus Package will see them through. Happy times. Just go fishing!;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

The big Cheese
    any bad news is good news for you.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

The big Cheese
    oh and I keep forgeting to tell you...

AC's suck!

front heavy fishy tailing pieces of shit.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Not to worry - the $600 Stimulus Package will see them through. Happy times. Just go fishing!;)
    1. It is NOT the responsibility of the government to "see them through."
    2. Job retention is not the responsibility of the government.
    3. I can think of 600 reasons why the government is trying to give some relief from current economic downturn. If the 600 offends you, send it to me.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Banned
    If I lived in CA, I would be worried with a 15 billion deficit. Arnuld and the Democ. legislators have the answers for those in the kool-aid state. More taxes are on the way. If you dummies would drill in the offshore area, the deficit could be cut drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    If the 600 offends you, send it to me.
    Can't - didn't qualify.;)

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION: JULY 2008

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

The unemployment rate rose to 5.7 percent, and nonfarm payroll employment
    continued to trend down in July (-51,000), the Bureau of Labor Statistics of
    the U.S. Department of Labor reported today. Employment continued to fall in
    construction, manufacturing, and several service-providing industries, while
    health care and mining continued to add jobs. Average hourly earnings rose by
    6 cents, or 0.3 percent, over the month.

Give it a fracking rest you pathetic assbag.

I remember when 5.7 percent was considered great.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    1. It is NOT the responsibility of the government to "see them through."
    2. Job retention is not the responsibility of the government.
    3. I can think of 600 reasons why the government is trying to give some relief from current economic downturn. If the 600 offends you, send it to me.
    I agree with all your points, but 3. If the government is going to be responsible and stay out of the way...then they also need to quit mortgaging future generations by borrowing money to give in tax rebates.

Uncle Sam didn't just go to his treasure trove and pull out 600 bucks to give to each of us. He went to a foreign government and borrowed it.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor