Thread: Avatar's James Cameron urges producers to embrace 3D TV

Hybrid View

1. #1 Avatar's James Cameron urges producers to embrace 3D TV 
    Avatar's James Cameron urges producers to embrace 3D TV

Christine Kim
    SEOUL
    Thu May 13, 2010 10:36am

SEOUL (Reuters) - Director James Cameron, whose blockbuster "Avatar" set off a 3D frenzy in the movie industry, on Thursday told television producers to put aside their worries about higher filming costs and embrace the technology.

Manufacturers hope the technology will be as big a boost for the industry as the transition to color television from black and white, but growth is being restrained by high costs for content makers, leading to a dearth of programing.

Consumers who just paid major sums for new flat screen sets may not be ready for another major payment for 3D TVs when there is little to see in the format that requires special glasses for viewing, analysts said.

"(Big entertainment companies) can't be afraid to shoot in 3D because tens of thousands of people all over the world are shooting in 3D every day," Cameron said.

"We're going to have 3D TVs all around us ... and we're going to need thousands of hours of sports, comedy and music and all kinds of entertainment," he said at a technology forum in Seoul.

"Avatar", the highest-grossing film of all time, taking in more than $2 billion, was also reportedly one of the most expensive movies to make with a budget of at least $300 million due in part to its 3D filming.

Cameron said it would prove cost effective over the long run for TV producers to learn how to shoot in 3D instead of trying to convert existing 2D content to the format.
    This will be interesting. As new platforms come along faster and faster, I've become less interested in entertainment tech. There's just too much of an investment every time to remain current, let alone hip. It's easier and just as productive (and more elevating) to read a book written 100 years ago or view art created 3,000 years ago than it is to see some 3D TV content made last week.

I look forward to becoming a complete Luddite. :p

Reuters

TV's getting pretty realistic with LCD tvs and Blu Ray technology as it is. I was at Fry's and they had a LCD tv playing a Blu Ray copy of Pirates of the Carribean and the damned thing looked like it was live action video being played.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    TV's getting pretty realistic with LCD tvs and Blu Ray technology as it is. I was at Fry's and they had a LCD tv playing a Blu Ray copy of Pirates of the Carribean and the damned thing looked like it was live action video being played.
    I rented Avatar on BD and it was pretty awesome.

I just thought they should have nuked the blue bastards, but that's me. :D
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    I rented Avatar on BD and it was pretty awesome.

I just thought they should have nuked the blue bastards, but that's me. :D
    It blew me away in the theater. The story was hokey and unoriginal, but the effects make you not even care.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad