Thread: Yard sales

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Yard sales 
    Anybody do them? I was invited to join someone tomorrow who is a pro! These people are dead serious, it has been advertized in the papers, signs have been posted and everything. They set up this afternoon and have all the tables tarped over!
    I on the other hand have just finished tagging my items and have them stacked by the door, I have to get there by 6 to set up, it starts at 7 and goes on till Sunday!

Could be fun, I just mixed 2 quarts of bloody marys to take, not to sell!:D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Banned
    When my parents moved, they had a big garage sale. My dad was not too excited about it but when he started getting dollars in his pocket everything changed. I got a big kick out of watching him put the hard sell on.

You will have a good time.

We've done them.

It's like a military operation. You have to have a plan, be prepared, and you need to be flexible. Wear a utility belt and have a lot of change. Run an extension cord out so people can try any electrical stuff you have. Mark every thing clearly and in big numbers. Be prepared to make deals on groups of items: 5 paperbacks for $2.00, 3 framed pictures for $15, 1 "bag" of kid's clothing for $10. Go ahead and counter a low-ball offer but not by much - your goal is to get rid of stuff.

Post signs at the site that tell people that all remaining "stuff" will be 50% off after 2:00 pm (or whatever). If your aim is to reduce crap, you need to be basically willing to almost pay people to cart it off for you. If you are so attached to an object that this won't work - put it on Ebay.

Have a cooler of plain iced tea, disposable cups, sugar, etc., and a big barrel for waste. If kid toys are part of the thing, segregate the toys over on lawn and let parents know that their kids can "play" over there.

End it all by 6:00 p.m., drive all the leftover to the donation place, order a pizza, and drink heavily. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    We've done them.

It's like a military operation. You have to have a plan, be prepared, and you need to be flexible. Wear a utility belt and have a lot of change. Run an extension cord out so people can try any electrical stuff you have. Mark every thing clearly and in big numbers. Be prepared to make deals on groups of items: 5 paperbacks for $2.00, 3 framed pictures for $15, 1 "bag" of kid's clothing for $10. Go ahead and counter a low-ball offer but not by much - your goal is to get rid of stuff.

Post signs at the site that tell people that all remaining "stuff" will be 50% off after 2:00 pm (or whatever). If your aim is to reduce crap, you need to be basically willing to almost pay people to cart it off for you. If you are so attached to an object that this won't work - put it on Ebay.

Have a cooler of plain iced tea, disposable cups, sugar, etc., and a big barrel for waste. If kid toys are part of the thing, segregate the toys over on lawn and let parents know that their kids can "play" over there.

End it all by 6:00 p.m., drive all the leftover to the donation place, order a pizza, and drink heavily. ;)
    You lost me untill - drink heavily! :D
    Yeah I got the FYI on this this afternoon, I am so prepared I have to hit the ATM in the morning, shoot to the shell station to get the 20's broken down! I already tagged everything in bright blue and green stickies!
    I am not selling trash, people can get a great bargain but I have alot of high price items, if they don't go I will keep them!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Yeah I got the FYI on this this afternoon, I am so prepared I have to hit the ATM in the morning, shoot to the shell station to get the 20's broken down! I already tagged everything in bright blue and green stickies!
    I am not selling trash, people can get a great bargain but I have alot of high price items, if they don't go I will keep them!
    Fish or cut bait, friend. If your "high end" items don't sell by noon, either mark them more reasonably or pull them.

Anything that is of any interest to real collectors should be moved on Ebay or craigslist, if you want something like a real market price. Garage sales are for crap (if you are the seller).

What I forgot: music! Know your clientèle. Where I live, country and moldy/oldy rock works. In the city, maybe smooth jazz or New Age. Other places might do better with old school Rap or Salsa. Do what works but keep it low.

They don't call them early birds for nothin'. I had one when I moved, posted I would start it at 7:00am and I had people there at 6:00am going through stuff as I was putting it out. 60% of my stuff was gone in the 1st hour.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Another tidbit

Don't close too early on Saturday afternoon. The Hispanics come out in droves between 3p-5p.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    Another tidbit

Don't close too early on Saturday afternoon. The Hispanics come out in droves between 3p-5p.

That is when you call the Border Patrol.

You can drive through town ere on Saturday morning and there's one set up in nearly every parking lot. We plan on having one the first week of June or July. You have have it the first weekend after the 3rd here. That's when the natives get their checks.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Are you selling your underwear too?:eek: