Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Fractious Friday 
    Power CUer
    TOTD: I have a performance review this morning and while I have nothing to fear from it, I find it an artificial, stilted moment in what is otherwise a comfortable working relationship. Do you have regular reviews? Do you get much out of them?

Oh, and the weather. There's some out there. It's murky and will be 90 today, up from yesterday's 60.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    TOTD: I have a performance review this morning and while I have nothing to fear from it, I find it an artificial, stilted moment in what is otherwise a comfortable working relationship. Do you have regular reviews? Do you get much out of them?

Oh, and the weather. There's some out there. It's murky and will be 90 today, up from yesterday's 60.
    Another warm and sunny day here in Florida.

As a consultant I don't have to do reviews anymore. If I'm not cutting it, they just cancel my contract. When I did do them I found them to be, at best, uncomfortable because I was to define my performance for my boss and see if my assessment agreed with his. I would much more have perferred for him or her to tell me what they thought I was doing right and where I was lacking and then discuss a plan to improve in the lacking area(s).

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

It's the first nice day in a while. It's sunny and expected to be in the 60s, after a rainy and cold week. It's the first good hair day all week.

TOTD: I hate performance reviews, but they do require the kind of bullshit writing skills that I learned in 11th grade, so at least they make me feel like having an education paid off in some way.

It's not snowing and it's not freezing. Yay! The ground is too wet to work in, though.

TOTD: Ick. As an employee, I get one annually and as a supervisor I have to give them. Essentially, they are just CYA exercises. If somebody is screwing up, I just tell them and show them what I want in the future. If an employee is lazy, stupid, deceptive, or a drama queen, reviews allow me to construct a fool-proof case for termination in the future.

Reviews are kind of pointless for raises or promotions. Good, ambitious people are easy to spot and they make sure that people who can help them notice their work. They always exceed expectations.

The worst kind of review are the ones for marginal employees. They don't screw up in any spectacular ways, they don't abuse the system, they aren't defiant or snarky enough to write up, and they do just enough work with just high enough quality to stay out of trouble. These are the people who bitterly resent having to work at all and they resent their boss (or any authority) for no real reason. They are the gossip people, the lunch room whiners, and the back-channel rumor mongers. :(

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

TOTD: I hate performance reviews, but they do require the kind of bullshit writing skills that I learned in 11th grade, so at least they make me feel like having an education paid off in some way.
    Haha! +1

It's quite a chore trying to convince the boss in writing that spending 8 hours surfing the net is productive and needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    Haha! +1

It's quite a chore trying to convince the boss in writing that spending 8 hours surfing the net is productive and needed.
    Describe it as "research".

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Wow. I've already had an interesting day and nobody is even drunk yet (that I know of).

I saw a really expensive accident - I mean saw it happen. Pro tip: pickup trucks are oddly rugged when compared to Boxsters.

A guy in a kilt offered me a glass of scotch. I'm pretty sure it was just a blend, though.

I saw one of the People of Wal-Mart. Since this happened inside a Wal-Mart, I guess it's legal and everything.
    :D

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Wow. I've already had an interesting day and nobody is even drunk yet (that I know of).

I saw a really expensive accident - I mean saw it happen. Pro tip: pickup trucks are oddly rugged when compared to Boxsters.

A guy in a kilt offered me a glass of scotch. I'm pretty sure it was just a blend, though.

I saw one of the People of Wal-Mart. Since this happened inside a Wal-Mart, I guess it's legal and everything.
    :D
    Okay, did you accept the scotch from the guy in the Catholic Schoolgirl Uniform or not?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

It's warm & sunny here in the great state of Arizona.

I have performance reviews at my work, but I'm on really good terms, almost friends with my boss, and my boss's boss. My boss's boss is a former Marine like me so we get along really well.

My performance reviews usually consist of me, my boss, and my boss's boss, all sitting in a conference room sipping coffee, cracking jokes and bullshitting for half an hour, then I get a raise. So, for me, performance reviews are a great thing.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Okay, did you accept the scotch from the guy in the Catholic Schoolgirl Uniform or not?
    Why? Is this some kind of trap to expose my ignorance of the finer points of scotch? :mad: