Thread: Update on going into Military

1. #1 Update on going into Military 
    Hey guys (and gals).

Been AWOL a couple weeks. Been busy as hell.
    Just wanted to update with you all. I had my eyes on joining the USAF. Talked to the recruiter and wasn't impressed so I talked to the other branches. I ended up swearing in yesterday to the DEP for the United States Marines. My ship date to basic training is September 20th. My MOS on my contract is Combat Photographer. Semper Fidelis. :p
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Congratulations! I have no preference for one branch over the other, but the Marines look awesome in their dress uniforms.

A kid I grew up with enlisted in the Marines right after high school. He wanted to be a Marine since he was really little. I think there is a sense among the public that the Marines have a higher code of honor than the other branches, maybe because they are usually the first ones in when there's trouble.

Thank you. I respect all military branches. To be honest, these days the Marines are becoming more selective (as is every branch of service). I feel confident and happy about my decision. I hear the difference in people's voices and the way they act towards Marines as opposed to Army/Navy/etc. No offense to any members of those services, as I believe that every member of the US military is imperative to our nation's well-being.
    Last edited by Megaguns91; 05-14-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Banned
    A couple of years a I was working as a production floor manager and a kid that was working there enlisted into the Marines. He said that another kid went into the Marine Recruiters Office and asked about what they were offering. The kid mtioned that the Army had offered him a signing bonus and asked if the Army was offering a bonus. The Recruiter said, "We offer a bonus much bigger than the Army."

The kid perked up his ears and asked, "What is it?"

"You get to call yourself a Marine."

Congrats young 'un. Do us proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    Hey guys (and gals).

Just wanted to update with you all. I had my eyes on joining the USAF. Talked to the recruiter and wasn't impressed so I talked to the other branches. I ended up swearing in yesterday to the DEP for the United States Marines. My ship date to basic training is September 20th. My MOS on my contract is Combat Photographer. Semper Fidelis. :p

Semper Fi! I always look forward to seeing new Marines join our ranks. (Even though I'm out now, I still think in terms of 'My Corps', and 'our ranks', and 'We Marines'. Probably will my entire life, and soon enough so you will you.)

I'm sure there are a few more Marines former and active, on this board who just got out recently. So if you have questions, or anything, ask away. I got out in '07, so some things may have changed, but others haven't.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Semper Fi! I always look forward to seeing new Marines join our ranks. (Even though I'm out now, I still think in terms of 'My Corps', and 'our ranks', and 'We Marines'. Probably will my entire life, and soon enough so you will you.)

I'm sure there are a few more Marines former and active, on this board who just got out recently. So if you have questions, or anything, ask away. I got out in '07, so some things may have changed, but others haven't.
    oh come one, your a Marine and call yourself a Former one? ;):D bah...once a Marine always a Marine. Never been in the military and even I know that :p

on a serious note, Congratz Mega, good luck. I have a classmate who's got 4 brothers and a boyfriend that are all Marines (ones graduating next week from bootcamp). Best of Luck

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Good on ya. Thanks for your service. :)
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Banned
    In Florda. Out smacking around Useful Idiots
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    Hey guys (and gals).

In the Corps we don't say "AWOL". It's "UA"...Unauthorized Absence. :D

"Get Some!"

A word of advice. Do NOT show up with a crew cut, a high and tight or a USMC tat. And don't say "Semper Fi". You'll understand later.

Trust me. I saw what happened to those guys. You'll be crucified. You gotta earn the Eagle Globe and Anchor first.

You will.

Welcome aboard and good luck.
    Last edited by ColonialMarine0431; 05-14-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Resident Grump
    Good luck...we're proud of you. :)