Hybrid View

1. #1 Police uncover plot to kill Obama and Indonesia’s president 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Police uncover plot to kill Indonesia’s president

By Ali Kotarumalos, Associated Press Writer

May 14, 2010

JAKARTA, Indonesia – Indonesian police foiled a plot to assassinate the president and other top officials, massacre foreigners in Mumbai-style terrorist attacks and declare an Islamic state, an official said Friday.

The attackers planned to focus their assault on the Aug. 17 Independence Day ceremony attended by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and other Indonesian and foreign dignitaries, national police chief Gen. Bambang Hendarso Danuri told reporters.

"They were confident that all state officials and dignitaries would be there," Danuri said. "Killing all the state officials would have accelerated the transition from a democracy to a state controlled by Islamic Shariah law."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100514/...ia_terror_plot

--------------

Reuters has further details on this plot. These excerpts seems to be the only new information:

Obama was target of Indonesia militants

By Olivia Rondonuwu And Sunanda Creagh Fri May 14, 2010

JAKARTA (Reuters) – Indonesian militants captured in recent police raids were planning a series of attacks including a Mumbai-style hotel siege targeting foreigners and an assault on the president at an independence day ceremony, police said on Friday.

The men also planned to target U.S. President Barack Obama, who is scheduled to visit the country later this year, and plotted the attacks to install sharia law in the world’s most populous Muslim nation, officials said…

OBAMA TARGETED

Earlier on Friday, an expert on militants said that U.S. President Barack Obama, who is due to visit Indonesia in June, was one of several suspected targets of the militants.

Intelligence expert Mardigu Wowi Prasantyo, who is close to the police investigation, said books and documents found in the raids suggested the militants planned an attack on Obama, possibly during his visit to Indonesia.

"They did not say it, but this was evident in their books and documents, that the leader of America was their enemy and should be attacked whenever possible," he told Reuters by phone.

Obama, who spent part of his childhood in Jakarta, was expected to visit Indonesia in March but delayed his trip until mid-June so he could oversee the passage of the U.S. health bill.

Another intelligence expert told Reuters last year that militants planned to use snipers to attack Obama’s convoy during his visit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100514/...ilitants_obama

Thats the last thing we need is Obama assassinated. That would only make him a martyr and Dems would push his 'Agenda' to honor his falling, and few would want to oppose and look heartless in the wake of his death.

In addition, how long till we hear the first wave of "Rightwing extremist" or "Teabaggers" behind this plot?
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Banned
    Oh my God! There is a TEA party movement in Indonesia!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Oh my God! There is a TEA party movement in Indonesia!
    Talk about a persecution complex.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Its not a complex, the left was quick to blame the TSq bombing attempt on teabaggers angry at Obama.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Sonnabend
    JI is very real. They have a massive foothold in Aceh, and their numbers are growing. Indonesia as a breeding ground for Islamic terrorists is a large one, and we ourselves are working to deal with this.

More bombings in Jakarta, a growing threat of militants out of Aceh and surrounding provinces,

JI itself has a strong presence in Jakarta and in the local areas. This doesnt surprise me at all...traveler warnings have been issued.

In addition, how long till we hear the first wave of "Rightwing extremist" or "Teabaggers" behind this plot?
    You won't....this is a regional issue we are trying to get to grips with. It isnt easy and the Aust intel agencies are on it., problem is that we cant tell friend from foe, not when they melt into the sympathisers networks.

Yudhyono enjoys support, yes, but i would not be surprised if the military was also involved, they helped the Timor insurgency and armed them...some of them them WERE Indonesia military.

Add to that the same problem in the Philippines.

Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Is it a complex if it is actually based in fact?

From Daily Kos:
    A poll: The identity of the Times Square bomber -- UPDATE
    by waterboard sean

Mon May 03, 2010 at 12:07:25 PM PDT

I am beginning to have a sneaking suspicion that the "Times Square bomber" story is going to get very ugly for the Fox News/Limbaugh types.

waterboard sean's diary :: ::
    So far what we know: He's a white guy. He stole someone's car (not a rental?) He didn't blow himself up. He used nonexplosive fertilizer (manure?) which suggests he has no training in bomb making.

So, could this be an anti-government wacko? Or something else? Vote your chocies:

UPDATE: Ok, everyone hates my diary. But, give this an hour -- Fuax news and the rest will begin the "Obama can't keep us safe from al Qaeda" storyline.

The Washpost has just posted something saying in the lead that Obama Administration suspects foreign ties for bomber. But I am still doubtful. An orchestrated attack, with a guy who doesn't know how to make a bomb? And who doesn't know how to use fertilizer in the explosion? It doesn't make sense to me. But, hey...I've been wrong before. Lots of times.

An al Qaeda terrorist ---4%

An American sympathetic to al Qaeda ---5%

A militia wackjob ---30%

A teapartier ---32%

A religious wackjob ---9%
    EVAN THOMAS (of Newsweek):
    I cringe that he's a Muslim. I mean, because it inflames all the fears. I think he's probably just a nut case. But with that label attached to him, it will get the right wing going and it just -- I mean these things are tragic, but that makes it much worse.
    MSNBC host Contessa Brewer:
    "I get frustrated...There was part of me that was hoping this was not going to be anybody with ties to any kind of Islamic country."
    NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg (and CBS News anchor Katie Couric):
    KATIE COURIC: Law enforcement officials don't know who left the Nissan Pathfinder behind, but, at this point, the mayor believes the suspect acted alone.

MAYOR MICHAEL BLOOMBERG: If I had to guess 25 cents, this would be exactly that, somebody-

COURIC TO BLOOMBERG: A home-grown?

BLOOMBERG: Home-grown, maybe a mentally deranged person or somebody with a political agenda that doesn't like the health care bill or something. It could be anything.
    I include Couric because she couldn't wait to insert the "home-grown" meme.

So, how many major political/media figures have to tell us how much they desperately want our terror problems to be caused by Tea Partiers before you acknowledge the trend?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!