Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 7-Year-Old Girl Killed in Detroit Police Raid 
    link

One thing you can count on is the DU cop hating contingent to show up whenever the police accidentally shoot someone or there is some other problem.
    Flaneur (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 04:31 PM
    Original message
    7-Year-Old Girl Killed in Detroit Police Raid

Source: CNN

CNN) -- Police in Detroit, Michigan, on Sunday expressed "profound sorrow" at the fatal shooting of a 7-year-old girl in a police raid.

Aiyana Jones was shot and killed by police executing a search warrant as part of a homicide investigation, Assistant Chief Ralph Godbee said in a statement.

"This is any parent's worst nightmare," Godbee said. "It also is any police officer's worst nightmare. And today, it is all too real."

The warrant was executed about 12:40 a.m. ET Sunday at a home on the city's east side, Godbee said. Authorities believed the suspect in the Friday shooting death of 17-year-old high school student Jarean Blake was hiding out at the home. Blake was gunned down in front of a store as his girlfriend watched, Godbee said.

<snip>

Read more: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/16/michigan.police.chi... /

These forcible entry raids are dangerous--much more so for residents than police.

Why don't the cops just wait for the guy to go to the 7-11?
    Skip Intro Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 05:28 PM
    Response to Original message
    12. Tragic, but in fairness, all info should be considered...

http://www.freep.com/article/20100516/NEWS01/100516012/...

The 46-year-old grandmother of the girl shot was in the front room of the house and had a physical tussle with the first officer when his gun discharged, hitting Aiyana Stanley Jones in the head and neck area, police said. She was sleeping on a couch in the room.

“We have executed countless high risk warrants where children have been present,” Godbee told the Free Press this morning. “This was a perfect storm for tragedy.”

The woman involved in the tussle has been taken into custody, as is the suspect sought in Blake’s death, although no charges have been issued yet.

-----------------------

"Detroiters cope in city of violence"

http://www.freep.com/article/20100516/NEWS01/5160481/10...

Residents say the spate of recent homicides in Detroit have left them feeling fearful and powerless.

Though city officials say crime incidents are decreasing overall, residents say scarce police presence, high unemployment and abandoned homes are fueling criminal activity in their neighborhoods.

They see a scarcity of hope, especially in neighborhoods where three residents -- Geraldine Jackson, Avondre Donel and David Adams Jr. -- all going about their daily lives, were recently killed by stray bullets.

Godbee said the city's plan is to target violent crime, using data and assistance from other agencies, like the FBI, to target so-called hot spots, identifying patterns and frequency. And, Godbee says, the plan is working: Homicides are down, so far, from 138 this time last year to 108 this year, according to figures released by the Detroit Police Department on Friday morning. Later Friday, Jerean Blake, 17, became No. 109. He was shot to death outside a store at 2:20 p.m.

-----------------------------

It is tragic that the little girl was killed, but the following is reported to be true:

Residents are demanding police do something about skyrocketing crime which has claimed over 100 lives so far this year

In this case, when police entered the home, a woman engaged one of the officers in some sort of scuffle, during which his gun was discharged

Police did find the suspect in the murder of Jarean Blake inside the home (ed note: in the upstairs apt. which the police were executing a search warrant on at the same time.)

I suspect this thread and the one to follow in GD will turn into another DU cop-bashing fiesta. But given the facts as they are reported now, this seems like a sad and tragic accident and not some cops gone wild episode.
    Of course it will turn into a cop=bashing fiesta.
    tblue37 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 08:56 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    44. "The WEAPON discharged one round"??!! Was the officer not in control of his weapon?

Edited on Sun May-16-10 08:57 PM by tblue37
    I thought the NRA mantra was "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." If this gun discharged itself, as that article's phasing (no doubt borrowed directly from the police department's CYA comments) implies, then that mantra is going to have to be revised!
    Odin2005 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 04:49 PM
    4. Fucking PIGS!!!

:grr: :cry:
    Webster Green Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 06:06 PM
    Response to Reply #8
    23. Yeah, and the dumb-ass fucking pigs were at the wrong house.

The mutherfuckers do this shit all the time! Raiding the wrong house, and entering with guns drawn, throwing flash grenades, and trashing everything and everyone in sight. They do it for pot just as quickly as they do it for homicide investigations.

I hope this poor family winds up with a huge settlement. The fucking pigs should be locked up, but they won't ever face justice. They are above the law.
    elocs (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 06:30 PM
    Response to Reply #16
    29. Drawn or not, how does a gun just "discharge"?

Really? These are professionals and the gun just discharges?
    Skip Intro Donating Member (1000+ posts) t Sun May-16-10 08:09 PM
    Response to Reply #29
    38. In a physical altercation, with the gun drawn?

Is it really easier to believe the cop purposely shot a 7 yr old girl, while there to, by the way, to find the killer of a 17 year old boy?
    Skip Intro Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 08:11 PM
    Response to Reply #36
    39. Good Lord. You're relating this to Waco and Nazi Germany?

This place sometimes...
    TreasonousBastard (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 07:03 PM
    Response to Reply #12
    31. Yeah.....

"I suspect this thread and the one to follow in GD will turn into another DU cop-bashing fiesta. "

It has.

We all know there are sadistic, inept, and racist cops out there, but have any of the kneejerk cop bashers out there had, as part of their jobs, going into a place where there just might be a number of guns pointed at the door?

Catching murderers is not a safe or easy job for good cops. No matter how good they are.

This was a tragedy all around.

(And any minute now Al Sharpton, or one of his acolytes, will be on the scene to stir up more shit.)
    NO, that's not likely. If I read it right, and the info was correct the cop that had the gun was black too. Sharpton only bothers if the officers or the ones he's blaming are white. That's the only time it matters to him because it's not the black "victims"/people that are important it's the race baiting and money shake down.
    demigoddess (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 07:50 PM
    Response to Reply #34
    37. he or she is pointing out that they never seem to shoot little white children

during these raids. And she was pretty. I wonder why they never seem to pick any time other than night. like maybe when the kids are in school. When the suspect leaves the house?? They always seem to attack at night. we have had a number of times when they have hit the wrong house, when they were mistaken for invaders not police, and a number of times when the police shot someone other than the criminal they were looking for.
    Boudica the Lyoness Donating Member (791 posts) Sun May-16-10 06:45 PM
    30. I hate American Police

Ignorant dishonest pigs!

And of course DU's police arse kissers are out in force defending them like they always do.

I don't believe for one moment that the grandmother tried to disarm the child killing cop. It takes a video to get these fuckers to tell the truth.

I notice they always video tape prison cell extractions to prove they are not abusing convicted prisoners, now how about showing the same respect to the innocent until proven guilty crowd.

How about video taping every time they have a search warrant or enter a persons home for any reason, that way we can see if they are doing the job we pay them to do any not having a bit of fun shooting peoples pets and little black girls.

Funny how the blame the cops and not the criminals who activities put the child in harms way in the first place.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    I think the cops were way outta line and heavy handed in their actions. This was a homicide investigation and the suspect was known to be in that apartment or the one upstairs where he was captured. The place could have been placed under surveillance and the suspect could have been arrested leaving the premises. Too many times the cops WANT to kick down doors and be complete assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I think the cops were way outta line and heavy handed in their actions. This was a homicide investigation and the suspect was known to be in that apartment or the one upstairs where he was captured. The place could have been placed under surveillance and the suspect could have been arrested leaving the premises. Too many times the cops WANT to kick down doors and be complete assholes.
    You and I are pretty much in agreement on this. I'm sure that proper surveillance indicated that a child was present in the residence so to come in and shoot because of unidentified movement show a lack of judgment or complete understanding of the potentialities of shooting at an unidentified target. Normally I side with the police, this time however, I just can't.

Something that jumped out at me in the article that I read was:

"At about this time, the officer's weapon discharged one round which, tragically, struck 7-year-old Aiyana Stanley Jones in the neck/head area."
    Had the situation been reversed I feel positive that the article would have said "the suspect fired his weapon once." Rarely will a weapon simply "discharge" on its own without the it's handler touching the trigger.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 05-17-2010 at 07:50 AM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

It's a tragedy. I don't hate cops (except when they are giving me tickets), and I don't necessarily blame the individual cop for this situation. Detroit cops have rough jobs. I'm sure something went wrong that led them to think there weren't any kids in the home before they raided it.

The girl's family will likely be receiving a visit from Geoffrey Fieger in the next few days, and the city will settle with them out of court. I hate the fact that the family who put the kid in harm's way will be able to benefit financially from the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Funny how the blame the cops and not the criminals who activities put the child in harms way in the first place.
    Indeed.
    Though, don't you know the first rule of liberalism when it comes to the justice system: NEVER blame the criminals/ perps, instead blame the victim/ the cops/ society.
    While it was bad form that it happened the way it did, and certainly tragic, the fact is, it was an accident.
    "I wonder why they never seem to pick any time other than night. like maybe when the kids are in school."
    Maybe because night is a time when most people (Inclluding the perps) are inside, asleep, and thus not as able to resist or flee as they would be during the day?
    Skip intro tries to inject a little sanity into the discussion, but is of course shouted down by the cop- haters at DU who believe that all past and present police officers are automatically evil, corrupt, racist pigs who love oppressing minorities and killing kids for the fun of it (Never mind the fact that, as noted here, the officer in question was black).
    btw, regarding the idiot DUmmy who claims that the mean old cops will get off scot- free, think again: As I recall, if a police officer fatally shoots anyone (Even a suspect, I think), department policy mandates at least a temporary suspension for that officer.

Had the situation been reversed I feel positive that the article would have said "the suspect fired his weapon once." Rarely will a weapon simply "discharge" on its own without the it's handler touching the trigger.
    Who's to say that the woman tussling with the officer didn't pull the trigger? We simply don't know all the facts. As for the why not just watch the house, you people don't seem to understand the reasoning and sometimes the cops are damned if they do and damned if they don't. What if they did put the house under surveillance and he got any anyway? Anyone here ever been on a stakeout? Is the Detroit PD supposed to use all of it's resources on this one person? Do they have that luxury? Something tells me no. And what is easier, apprehending someone who is in an enclosed space or waiting for someone to come outside where they can run? Think about that for a minute. They got a tip that this person was there and you have to strike while the iron was hot. The perp put that little girl in that position, not the police. And if that woman hadn't decided to engage the cop, the gun would have never gone off. Blame the right people here. The cops did the right thing and sadly an innocent little girl was killed. Maybe if that scumbag hadn't killed someone himself, that little girl would have been fine.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Who's to say that the woman tussling with the officer didn't pull the trigger? We simply don't know all the facts. As for the why not just watch the house, you people don't seem to understand the reasoning and sometimes the cops are damned if they do and damned if they don't. What if they did put the house under surveillance and he got any anyway? Anyone here ever been on a stakeout? Is the Detroit PD supposed to use all of it's resources on this one person? Do they have that luxury? Something tells me no. And what is easier, apprehending someone who is in an enclosed space or waiting for someone to come outside where they can run? Think about that for a minute. They got a tip that this person was there and you have to strike while the iron was hot. The perp put that little girl in that position, not the police. And if that woman hadn't decided to engage the cop, the gun would have never gone off. Blame the right people here. The cops did the right thing and sadly an innocent little girl was killed. Maybe if that scumbag hadn't killed someone himself, that little girl would have been fine.

The Detroit Police do not have a lot of resources, including personnel. A cop got killed about a week ago, too, so they are on edge. It was the first killing of a police officer in Detroit in about 5 years, which is actually amazing, because when I first moved here in the late 80s, police were getting shot and killed on an at least monthly basis, if you also consider state police, sheriff's officers and suburban cops into the total.

I feel really badly for the cop who's gun killed the child. Cops don't want to shoot kids. When I called to report my neighbors to the crack house hotline in the 80s, they always asked if there were children in the home, and made their preparations accordingly. It's different when they are looking for a person, and they don't necessarily know anything about the home they are going into.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    But of course. The Liberals want to be able to strip the police of their power... and yet still want them to be able to keep the kids off their lawns

I'm just amazed they're not trying to blame the gun, this time.....
    An educated voter is a Liberals worst nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    But of course. The Liberals want to be able to strip the police of their power... and yet still want them to be able to keep the kids off their lawns

I'm just amazed they're not trying to blame the gun, this time.....
    tblue37 Donating Member (1000+ posts) Sun May-16-10 08:56 PM
    Response to Reply #1
    44. "The WEAPON discharged one round"??!! Was the officer not in control of his weapon?

Edited on Sun May-16-10 08:57 PM by tblue37
    I thought the NRA mantra was "Guns don't kill people. People kill people." If this gun discharged itself, as that article's phasing (no doubt borrowed directly from the police department's CYA comments) implies, then that mantra is going to have to be revised!
    Just gotta know where to look....
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot