Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Dem Candidate Lied About Vietnam Service. 
    Candidate’s Words on Vietnam Service Differ From History

By RAYMOND HERNANDEZ
    Published: May 17, 2010

At a ceremony honoring veterans and senior citizens who sent presents to soldiers overseas, Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut rose and spoke of an earlier time in his life.

“We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008. “And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — Afghanistan or Iraq — we owe our military men and women unconditional support.”

There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.

The deferments allowed Mr. Blumenthal to complete his studies at Harvard; pursue a graduate fellowship in England; serve as a special assistant to The Washington Post’s publisher, Katharine Graham; and ultimately take a job in the Nixon White House.

In 1970, with his last deferment in jeopardy, he landed a coveted spot in the Marine Reserve, which virtually guaranteed that he would not be sent to Vietnam. He joined a unit in Washington that conducted drills and other exercises and focused on local projects, like fixing a campground and organizing a Toys for Tots drive.

Many politicians have faced questions over their decisions during the Vietnam War, and Mr. Blumenthal, who is seeking the seat being vacated by Senator Christopher J. Dodd, is not alone in staying out of the war.

But what is striking about Mr. Blumenthal’s record is the contrast between the many steps he took that allowed him to avoid Vietnam, and the misleading way he often speaks about that period of his life now, especially when he is speaking at veterans’ ceremonies or other patriotic events.

Sometimes his remarks have been plainly untrue, as in his speech to the group in Norwalk. At other times, he has used more ambiguous language, but the impression left on audiences can be similar.

In an interview on Monday, the attorney general said that he had misspoken about his service during the Norwalk event and might have misspoken on other occasions. “My intention has always been to be completely clear and accurate and straightforward, out of respect to the veterans who served in Vietnam,” he said.
    :mad:

NYT

2. #2 Dem Senate candidate lied about serving in Vietnam 
    they all want to be war heros

Not just any Democratic Senate candidate, either. It’s Richard Blumenthal, current attorney general of Connecticut, whom Chris Dodd made way for by retiring earlier this year. He’s been leading all Republican challengers by upwards of 20 points in the polls and was considered a mortal lock to win the seat in November. Until now.
    Follow the link for the full background of his military history. The five deferments aren’t the problem. This is the problem:
    http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/1...ng-in-vietnam/
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Bumping for smokin' hot newsiness.

Rush was talking about this today. He reminded people that this will not matter much though when push comes to shove. We are talking about democrat voters here.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    A lying Democrat is a virtue among his flock rather than a liability.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Rush was talking about this today. He reminded people that this will not matter much though when push comes to shove. We are talking about democrat voters here.

Rush doesn't have a lot of room to criticize anyone for getting draft deferrments to stay out of the Vietnam War.

I think it's sleazy for Blumenthal to claim he served when he didn't. He should have learned from the 2004 election that even a war hero is going to get trashed. Why he thought he could get away with that claim in light of that is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Rush doesn't have a lot of room to criticize anyone for getting draft deferrments to stay out of the Vietnam War.

I think it's sleazy for Blumenthal to claim he served when he didn't. He should have learned from the 2004 election that even a war hero is going to get trashed. Why he thought he could get away with that claim in light of that is beyond me.
    He wasn't talking about the deferments - he was talking about how he does not expect that this will make any real impact - dems lie - and their base is used to it.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Rush has never promoted himself based on lies. How does a DUmmycRAT use Vietnam as a positive anyway? I thought they hated the Vietnam war? OH, political gain, silly me.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Rush has never promoted himself based on lies. How does a DUmmycRAT use Vietnam as a positive anyway? I thought they hated the Vietnam war? OH, political gain, silly me.

No, but he criticized Bill Clinton for getting draft deferrments, and he jumped on the bandwagon trashing Kerry's war record. Rush got a deferrment for hemorhoids.

No, but he criticized Bill Clinton for getting draft deferrments, and he jumped on the bandwagon trashing Kerry's war record. Rush got a deferrment for hemorhoids.
    Nowadays, if you have 'em, you can't join without a waiver. I'm not sure how hard a med waiver is to get but from what I understand med waivers aren't easy to come by. I don't know if it's the same now as it was then...
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.