Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Mark Souder of Indiana Resigns Over Sex 
    scandal:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...id=kD_TEHxDQ-3

I never liked the guy, but this puts us in limbo for November. Sorry he couldn't have quit before the Primary!

Power CUer
    Rep. Souder Announces Resignation, Citing Affair
    By Jackie Kucinich, Roll Call Staff
    Rep. Mark Souder , R-Ind., on Tuesday admitted to an affair with a female staffer and said he will resign from Congress this week.

In a statement from his office first issued to the Ft. Wayne Journal Gazette, Souder said he “sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff.”

“In the poisonous environment of Washington, D.C., any personal failing is seized upon, often twisted, for political gain,” he said. “I am resigning rather than to put my family through that painful, drawn-out process.”

Souder said he planned to submit his official resignation to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., on Friday, May 21.

Souder’s staff informed the staff of Minority Leader John A. Boehner, R-Ohio, about the decision Sunday, and Souder himself called Boehner on Monday to tell the Republican leader of his resignation.

Boehner spokesman Michael Steel said, “Boehner has been perfectly clear that he will hold our Members to the highest ethical standards.”

First elected in 1994, Souder is a strong social conservative who has said in the past that his views are driven by religion — a “holistic” exercise in letting his beliefs guide him on all issues.

(CQ Today, only available by subsciption)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Another GOP'er who hurts others as well as himself. GOP'ers know they will be held to a higher standard than their Godless opponents. They hurt themselves, their families, and the Party. Good riddance! Clear them all out.:mad:
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Power CUer
    Power must be an aphrodisiac, because his looks certainly aren't. :eek:

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    GOP'ers know they will be held to a higher standard than their Godless opponents.
    Either that, or "strong social conservative" means they've been yapping about morality, and it bites them in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Either that, or "strong social conservative" means they've been yapping about morality, and it bites them in the butt.
    Absolutely.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Another GOP'er who hurts others as well as himself. GOP'ers know they will be held to a higher standard than their Godless opponents. They hurt themselves, their families, and the Party. Good riddance! Clear them all out.:mad:
    Maybe there is some correlation between extreme views on sexuality, restrictive sex education, and subconscious sexual impulses that may translate into private behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Maybe there is some correlation between extreme views on sexuality, restrictive sex education, and subconscious sexual impulses that may translate into private behavior?
    Then again, maybe there is not. Maybe it's just human nature since this moral failing is common to all regardless of gender, race, worldview, religion, ethnicity, political view or sexual preference. Maybe people just find it to be a bigger deal when someone who speaks of good morality falls. Is it worse for Joe Sundayschool to cheat on his wife than it is for a crack dealer?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Or maybe he is a human being that desires a certain image but is unwilling to pay the price of self restraint?
    C. S. Lewis
    Ayn Rand

Bill Clinton.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.