Thread: Horses?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Horses? 
    Anyone got 'em?
    What kind?
    Love them?
    How long have you been riding? What's your favorite breed? Color?

My friend has a cute appaloosa horse that I ride for him to keep in shape. I've been riding on and off since I was 11. Most of my friends are rodeo junkies with a few dressage riders here and there. My last boyfriend was a cowboy :o

My favorite kind of horse would be quarter horses. (Although I do have a secret passion for friesians. :D )
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

If wishes were horses then dreamers would ride.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Too much to keep up with anymore but my wife and I both grew up with them....and the labor they require. We have the pasture and let our neighbors graze theirs on our grass. I grew up with jug headed BLM working cow ponies in Oregon. My wife is MUCH more refined and went to college in West Texas on a rodeo scholarship.

Didn't your folks tell you to stay away from Cowboys? :D

My favorite horses? Wild and free Kigers. ;)

http://www.kbrhorse.net/wclo/blmor01.html
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

I grew up on an AQHA ranch. I was involved in equestrian activities in 4H, cross country racing, barrel racing, etc.

Although I keep selling them off, I'm still involved in breeding/showing Colorado Rangers and I currently have one at my niece's boarding/training facility. I ride pretty much every week.

I've owned or had the use of many quarter horses and quarter/appy crosses. I like Rangers because they have specific connection to the history of Colorado and they are great for cross country (not fast but extremely sure-footed).

Right now, I prefer to ride gaited mules for pleasure instead of horses. When I finally get over the Rangers, I'll get into gaited mules instead. They are much, much better on mountain trails than horses are and they are nowhere near as stupid as the average horse. :D

Banned
    Haven't had a horse for years. When I was in high school I had a very docile bay mare that was a mix of Arabian and Quarterhorse. I used to do day work hearding and cutting. Because of her pedigree you would expect that Molly was a very fast horse but she wasn't. She was actually a step slower than the regular, run of the mill ranch horses she worked around. She was mercury quick and agile as a cat though. She also had a smooth gait and was a joy just to ride.

The last horse I owned was actually my ex-wife's. He was a thoroughbred that we bought cheap because he had lung problems. He had a decent pedigree but his lung problems were genetic as his sire and siblings had suffered from them. Not being able to race mile long distances and too big a genetic risk to breed he was gelded and sold cheap. He was a gorgeous piece of horse flesh. Big, solid black except for one white sock. And he was explosively fast, being able to reach top speed in two jumps. If you were not ready when he hit the jets, your feet would come right out of the stirrups. My ex-wife rode him in barrel races.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I grew up on an AQHA ranch. I was involved in equestrian activities in 4H, cross country racing, barrel racing, etc.

Although I keep selling them off, I'm still involved in breeding/showing Colorado Rangers and I currently have one at my niece's boarding/training facility. I ride pretty much every week.

I've owned or had the use of many quarter horses and quarter/appy crosses. I like Rangers because they have specific connection to the history of Colorado and they are great for cross country (not fast but extremely sure-footed).

Right now, I prefer to ride gaited mules for pleasure instead of horses. When I finally get over the Rangers, I'll get into gaited mules instead. They are much, much better on mountain trails than horses are and they are nowhere near as stupid as the average horse. :D
    Wow.This is an interesting aspect I didn't know about you. I agree on the mules. We have wild (not so much) :D donkeys that show up at our place on occasion. Left over from the mining days. They're funny always bumming apples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQME_p63mSM
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

I've seen those donkeys many times! People who have a chance to be out here in June should remember to go up there during the Donkey Derby - it's a lot of fun. :D

My family used to take vacations at a ranch in Ontario, and we would ride horses twice a day, along with helping to care for them. The ranch had mostly arabians, and one Palamino. I always rode the arabians, and the last year we went, I got to help train the 4 year olds (they were gentle by nature, but still not trained well enough for little kids to ride them yet).

I rode quarterhorses at the Young Life camp in Colorado, and I don't think I've ridden a horse since then.

In all cases except the last year at the ranch, I rode extremely gentle and well-trained horses, the kind who are trained for tourists to ride. I loved the one I rode the last year at the ranch in Canada-his name was Joxer, he was a gelding who was 90% arabian, and he still had a lot of spirit in him. He and his friend would stay behind the riding group, so that they could run and catch up. He was brown, with a white spot between his eyes and a black mane.

I think Appaloosas are beautiful, but I've never ridden one.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    Anyone got 'em?
    What kind?
    Love them?
    How long have you been riding? What's your favorite breed? Color?

My friend has a cute appaloosa horse that I ride for him to keep in shape. I've been riding on and off since I was 11. Most of my friends are rodeo junkies with a few dressage riders here and there. My last boyfriend was a cowboy :o

My favorite kind of horse would be quarter horses. (Although I do have a secret passion for friesians. :D )

Grew up with them, Arabians and Quarter horses. I like the fine features of the Arabians, (and one of my favorite books as a child was "The Black Stallion") which featured an Arabian. I have always admired the Lipizzaner stallions also.

Just to add: I have a Breyer model horse collection that was valued at around $7,000 in 2003. :D