View Poll Results: Do you have a pair of Crocs in your closet?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 14.81%
  • No

21 77.78%
  • I invoke "Don't ask, don't tell."

2 7.41%

Thread: Crocs....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Crocs.... 
    Banned - Not really Theo
    Does anybody here wear these henious looking things?

I instinctively, and subconsciously hated them before I was even aware they existed and BTW - Crocs are #6 on the "Worst" list of Maxim's "The 10 Best & Worst Things to Happen to Men in 2007."

No "real" man would be caught dead in plastic shoes and I don't care how "comfortable" they are.

I wear pink crocs.

My son got them originally, as part of a publicity give-away at party early June three years ago. They were too big for him. He didn’t like the color. I tried them on, just for fun -- and scarcely wore any other shoes until the next winter. The crocs were supernaturally comfortable, easy to slip on and off (excellent for those early morning dog walks); best of all, they were free.
    But I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It turns out that a man wearing pink crocs transforms himself into a kind of cultural touchstone, a walking sociological laboratory for the study of gender politics and iconography. No one was neutral about my footwear that summer. Everyone weighed in: women for the most part thought they were sexy. I was ‘secure enough in my sexuality” to flaunt such a provocative wardrobe item. I had clearly “embraced” my “feminine side” and showed a refreshing indifference to ridicule. In fact, there was quite a bit of ridicule. Friends remarked lightly “You know how gay you look, right?” ; troglodytes jeered “Faggot!” at me as I walked past.
    This instinctive twitch of homophobia, this tourrettes syndrome shout-out of socially approved bigotry reared up everywhere, like ant hills on a suburban lawn. A tenured professor at a major University accosted me one morning and said “Cute crocs,” in a cringe-worthy “gay” voice. “Oh yeah,” I said, deflecting the obvious intent of the remark, “They’re chick magnets. Women love them.”
    “Boys, too, I bet,” he said with a little smirk.
    I guess he’d figured out my dirty little secret. Good thing I’m not his teaching assistant.
    The whole business is especially strange because I live on Nantucket where localized fashion embraces wearing pink pants – or ‘Nantucket Reds,” as they’re called. The pants, dyed red at the factory, soon fade to a color not unlike the tint of my crocs. This coincidence counts for nothing. Pink means gay. The blush brands anyone who wears it, and the disruptive controversy follows you like a poodle on a leash. I suppose if you actually were gay it would be a convenient marker, like the little pink triangles some lesbians sport on their pick-up trucks. So maybe people are just annoyed when you send out a confusing signal. And I soon realized that there’s no social stigma about gay-bashing; it’s a safe way to vent hostility and feel superior. A broad spectrum of society, from academics to day laborers, from Ecuadorian immigrants to New England matrons, from every race and religion, from every region and upbringing seem take gays as a suitable target. It’s politically correct; it’s Biblically approved. It’s fun for the whole family. Canny political operatives can leverage the specter of gay marriage to defeat an otherwise unassailable opponent. I knew intellectually that this prejudice was ubiquitous.
    But I never felt it, until I wore the pink crocs. No gay man had ever said to me, “Walk a mile in my pink crocs … ” I did it, though, however inadvertently.
    But now my situation is changing.
    The first pair of crocs are wearing out. I’m going to have to buy new ones soon. Do I buy pink crocs and confirm my political position? Or do I buy ordinary grey ones and bow out? I decided to buy more pink crocs because I realized that I actually enjoy these new encounters. I relish the instant snap-shot I get when people respond in this visceral, unguarded way to the color of my sandals. It tells me more about them than they’d probably like me to know.
    A tough-as-nails New York business woman can be startled into a moment of flirtation (“Now that’s a real man.”); the Professor with the AIDS ribbon on his car can turn out to be a creep.
    And the tattooed carpenter in NY Giants sweatshirt can glance down with an admiring grin and say “Bold move, dude.”
    The world is full of surprises when you wear pink crocs.
    And that’s the best reason I can think of to keep on wearing them
    LINK
    Last edited by Theophilus; 08-07-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Never. And I never will. Besides looking like some ghey Eurotrash piece of plastic footwear, they appeal to me about as much as friggin' Birkenstocks. (no offense to anyone who likes 'em).
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

I have a pair - purchased to help the MS society but I can't wear them.

I don't care, they're orange and I hate orange!

Banned
    They look fruit to me but I hear they are comfortable. It appears that they are a fashion fad because their stock has tanked.

That guy is way over-thinking this issue. No gay guy would wear Crocs at all so his self-imposed gay-identification project is a bust.

Crocs were invented out here not too far from I live. They are a common sight on men, women, and children. I have never seen a man wear pink Crocs but I don't see a lot of men in pink steel-toed work boots, either.

I wear Crocs in the yard. They are a lot lighter than traditional "garden sandals" and more comfortable. I don't wear them for shopping or dog-walking, though.

That would be kind of gay. :p

I hate crocs. The closest I've come to wearing them was borrowing my sister's one day on the beach so I cuold gt into the ocean without shredding my feet. Between the horror of potentially being seen in them, and the fact that I thought I was going to drown because the water all seeped in those stupid little holes and weighed me down while I was trying to fight the undertow...I decided it was better to rip my feet to shreds on the rocks and broken shells than to place them on my feet again.

Short answer...no I don't wear them.

Banned - Not really Theo
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    That guy is way over-thinking this issue. No gay guy would wear Crocs at all so his self-imposed gay-identification project is a bust.
    I agree. Most Gays have way too much style to wear these.

Banned - Not really Theo
    It's good to see that the only two yes votes come from sisters although Gator hasn't posted up yet. I heard that they are his "range shoes" :D
    Last edited by Theophilus; 08-07-2008 at 06:40 PM.

I see a lot of them at the hospital on doctors and nurses.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    That's a big fat no for me.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III