Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Unfortunately that tendency is not limited to DU but sometimes happens in our own backyard...
    Examples?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Examples?
    Most recently there was Sonna's demand to noonwitch not to use Palestine when talking about a certain area of the Middle East

The displaced Arabs that no one wants are bent on killing any Jew they can find, are bent on the destruction of Israel , and will you PLEASE stop using that term?

There is no such place as Palestine, it is not on any map anywhere in the world, it is not a nation, it is not a country.
    http://www.conservativeunderground.c...99&postcount=4

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Most recently there was Sonna's demand to noonwitch not to use Palestine when talking about a certain area of the Middle East

There you go picking on him again. :p
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    There you go picking on him again. :p
    Unfortunately it will be interpreted that way and all I was doing was offering proof of a statement that I made and that was the most recent example I could find.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Unfortunately it will be interpreted that way and all I was doing was offering proof of a statement that I made and that was the most recent example I could find.

I'm not sure if I even used the term in a post- I generally don't use the term Palestine, unless I am talking about the pre-1948 era.

I use the term Palestinean to refer to the people of that region who are not of both european descent and the jewish faith-muslims, christians and jews of arab ethnicity who are indigent to the region.

Accurate objection. There is no state of Palestine.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Accurate objection. There is no state of Palestine.
    Keep in mind I was originally responding to this from Carol

Surprise, Surprise, another liberals deciding what words are offensive based on their own biases and bigotry, and then condemning anyone who dares to use "that word".
    You and Sonna are correct, there is no country or state called Palestine. I am in no way stating that there is. However, there is a historic region that has been referred to as Palestine for about 2000 years. According to historians the Romans renamed the area Palestina after the final Jewish revolt that lead to the final dispersion of the Jewish People

The Encyclopedia Britannica defines Palestine as

Region, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean Sea.
    It extends east to the Jordan River, north to the border between Israel and Lebanon, west to the Mediterranean, and south to the Negev desert, reaching the Gulf of Aqaba. The political status and geographic area designated by the term have changed considerably over the course of three millennia. The eastern boundary has been particularly fluid, often understood as lying east of the Jordan and extending at times to the edge of the Arabian Desert. A land of sharp contrasts, Palestine includes the Dead Sea, the lowest natural ... (100 of 28001 words)
    http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...9645/Palestine

Again I am not stating that Palestine is a country or state, but to refer to the area as Palestine is acceptable. It is like referring to the North East of the U.S. as New England or the area between Mexico and Columbia as Central America.

The only point I am trying to make is that the unilateral demand that the term Palestine not be used because Sonna doesn't like it is no different that the DUers wanting to get rid of the phrase 'illegal alien' because they don't like it. There are a lot of words that I don't care for but I'm not demanding that people stop using them. I accept them as part of that person's vocabulary. You and Sonna are free to use whatever words you choose provided they are permitted by Sarasota and management. Likewise of others choose to use Palestine to refer to the territory between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea .
    Last edited by FlaGator; 05-20-2010 at 08:16 PM.

C. S. Lewis

It's a historically traditional usage and there's nothing wrong with it. These traditional names are handy handles for geopolitical areas - no one expects them to be defining terms for current national boundaries.

If you want to be real favorable to Hamas and the Palestinians the latest is to address Jerusalem as AL Quds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    If you want to be real favorable to Hamas and the Palestinians the latest is to address Jerusalem as AL Quds.
    Sounds like a failed dish-washing detergent.