Thread: Thursday Thread

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1 Thursday Thread 
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,172
    A warm and sunny day here in North Florida. It would be great if the temps didn't get in to the 90s. Oh well, at least its not August and the beach is right up the road.

    TOTD: When selecting books to read do you gravitate more to the fiction or non-fiction and has your choice changed over the years. I use to be strictly a fiction reader and the only nonfiction books were either history or profession related. Now I am much more of a non-fiction reader mostly interested in theology, philosophy and science. I still reach out to the horror, scifi and fantasy genres but they just don't get my attention like they use to. I guess nothing can beat the nightly news for horror and a lot of the science fiction I read long ago is becoming science fact.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Clouds here, on and off, but temps will get into the low 70s. The weekend looks just peachy. :)

    TOTD: My reading is usually pretty evenly divided between fiction and nonfiction. The subject/genre interests have changed over the years. I probably read more pre-1950 fiction today than I used to read.

    I've noticed that even authors I enjoy are using simpler language and less complex sentence structure today. I think we've pretty much passed our Golden Era in terms of prose. :(
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Great day at the beach...... warm, sunny, white sand, water is blue and no tar balls at Orange Beach AL
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,172
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Great day at the beach...... warm, sunny, white sand, water is blue and no tar balls at Orange Beach AL
    Maybe just cruise on down to the beach for an oil change. :D

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,071
    TOTD: Fiction. The only non- fiction books I read (Not counting stuff for class) are theology and occasionally history
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,049
    TOTD: Fiction. I'll read non-fiction books on occasion, but not that often.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,243
    Nonfiction, primarily history and biography.

    Early heads up: I likely won't be able to do the Friday thread until the afternoon, since I'm at a conference all this week. Chances are I won't be able to do it at all, so if anyone wants to take it, go right ahead.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,085
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Nonfiction, primarily history and biography.

    Early heads up: I likely won't be able to do the Friday thread until the afternoon, since I'm at a conference all this week. Chances are I won't be able to do it at all, so if anyone wants to take it, go right ahead.
    Who would be better qualified to take your place than Wei Wei?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer patriot45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    10,684
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    A warm and sunny day here in North Florida. It would be great if the temps didn't get in to the 90s. Oh well, at least its not August and the beach is right up the road.

    TOTD: When selecting books to read do you gravitate more to the fiction or non-fiction and has your choice changed over the years. I use to be strictly a fiction reader and the only nonfiction books were either history or profession related. Now I am much more of a non-fiction reader mostly interested in theology, philosophy and science. I still reach out to the horror, scifi and fantasy genres but they just don't get my attention like they use to. I guess nothing can beat the nightly news for horror and a lot of the science fiction I read long ago is becoming science fact.
    Tell the truth! It was hotter than hell! I am so brown I might get pulled over for driving while looking mexican! :eek::D

    TOTD: Pure fun meaningless pap type books! I just finished Relentless by Koontz and am fixing to start rereading the whole Mitch Rapp series from the beginning! Perfect for summer reading by the pool!

    : “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,172
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Tell the truth! It was hotter than hell! I am so brown I might get pulled over for driving while looking mexican! :eek::D

    TOTD: Pure fun meaningless pap type books! I just finished Relentless by Koontz and am fixing to start rereading the whole Mitch Rapp series from the beginning! Perfect for summer reading by the pool!
    Make sure you have your green card on you.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •