IF this comes to a shooting war, there will really be only one decider....air superiority.
Larry Bond's book, Red Phoenix, is one of the best novels on the subject, and quite frankly, his scenario is the one that best fits the possibilities.
(Yes this is wiki, but the list looks right to me)
* 24th Air Regiment - operating transport aircraft;
* Air Regiment - operating MiG-17F/J-5, F-5/FT-5;
Korean Peoples Army Air Force.svg Taechon
* 5th Air Transport Regiment
* Kaech'on - Headquarters, 1st Air Combat Command. 35th Air Regiment (MiG-19/J-6). Fighter base with 2500 m runway. Google Earth confirms presence of MiG-19 aircraft.
* Pukch'ang - 60th Air Regiment (1 ACC) (MiG-23ML/MiG-23UB/MiG-15UTI); Air Transport Regiment (5 TD) (H500D/H500E/500D).
* Samjangkol - Air Transport Regiment (6 TD) (Mi-2).
* Sunchon - 55th Air Regiment (1 ACC) (Su-25K/Su-25UBK/Su-7BMK) (MiG-29 suspected). The Google Earth imagery shows what appears to be MiG-21s and Su-25s. Runway length is 2500 m.
* Kanch'on - Air Transport Regiment (6 TD) (Mi-4/Z-5/Mi-8/Mi-17/Mi-2).
West Coast and Pyongyang area
* Onchon - 57th Air Regiment (1 ACC) (MiG-19/J-6/MiG-29/MiG-29UB).
* Hwangju - Headquarters, 3rd Air Combat Command. 56th Air Regiment (3 ACC) (MiG-21U/MiG-21PF/J-7).
* Kwail/Pungchon - 4th Air Regiment (3 ACC) (F-6/FT-5/MiG-19) (MiG-17/J-5 suspected). (38°25′00″N 125°01′00″E / 38.4166667°N 125.0166667°E / 38.4166667; 125.0166667)
* Taetan - Air Regiment (3 ACC) (F-5/FT-5/H-5). Google Earth imagery shows what appears to be two entrances to an underground storage area to the south-west of the airfield joined by taxiways.
* Pyongyang Sunan International Airport - Air Transport Regiment (Air Koryo) (Tu-134B/Tu-154B/Il-62/Il-76MD/Il-14/Il-18/An-24).
* Mirim - This airfield served as a light transport base and closed sometime in the 1990s.
* Chunghwa - Headquarters, Air Command.
* Koksan - 86th Air Regiment (3 ACC) (MiG-21PF/MiG-21U) (Q-5) (J-7 suspected).
* Hyon-ni - Air Regiment (F-5/FT-5).
East Coast area
* Toksan - Headquarters, 2nd Air Combat Command. Air Regiment (2 ACC) (MiG-21PF/J-7/F-7).
* Sondok - Air Transport Regiment (Y-5/An-2). Google Earth imagery shows what looks like an old, unused runway to the south-east of the airfield.
* Kowon - Air Transport Regiment (6 TD) (Z-5/Mi-4/Mi-8/Mi-17).
* Pakhon - Air Transport Regiment (6 TD) (Z-5/Mi-4/Mi-8/Mi-17/Mi-2).
* Wonsan - Air Regiment (2 ACC) (F-6/FT-5) (about 30 MiG-19/J-6 suspected).
Far Northeast area
* Samjiyon - Training Regiment (8 AD) (MiG-15UTI) (J-2/MiG-15 suspected).
* Hyesan - Training Regiment (8 AD) (An-2/Y-5).
* Hwangsuwon-ni - 72nd Air Regiment (2 ACC) (A-5/FT-5) (MiG-19/J-6 suspected).
* Kilchu - Training Regiment (8 AD) (Mi-2).
* Orang - Headquarters, 8th Air Division. Training Regiment (8 AD) (MiG-15UTI/J-2/MiG-15). Air Regiment (H-5).
* Changjin-up - Training Regiment (8 AD) (CJ-6) (Yak-18 suspected).
..which begs the question: would Russia get involved? Or China?
Last edited by Sonnabend; 05-21-2010 at 08:23 AM.
= this + one dead Nork pilot
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|