Thread: Kevin Costner may hold key to oil spill cleanup

1. #1 Kevin Costner may hold key to oil spill cleanup 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    The " Kevin Costner solution" to the worsening oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico may actually work, and none too soon for the president of Plaquemines Parish.

Costner has invested 15 years and about $24 million in a novel way of sifting oil spills that he began working on while making his own maritime film, "Waterworld," released in 1995.

Two decades later, BP and the U.S. Coast Guard plan to test six of his massive, stainless steel centrifugal oil separators next week. Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser welcomed the effort, even as he and Louisiana officials blasted the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for delays in approving an emergency plan to build sand "islands" to protect the bayous of his parish.

"It certainly is an odd thing to see a 'Kevin Costner' and a 'centrifugal oil separator' together in a place like the Gulf of Mexico," said actor Stephen Baldwin, who is producing a documentary about the oil spill and Costner's device. "But, hey, some of the best ideas sometimes come from the strangest places."

LINK
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

From what I've read this may acually be a really great idea - and could acually work. And you have to give the man credit for puting his OWN money on the line for it rather than demanding a government grant.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I'm sure it's very likely to work. It seems like it's based on the same technology used to separate water from jet fuel. Water is a big problem in jet fuel because at altitude the water forms ice which clog the fuel lines, and cause plane crashes. It seems like building large centrifugal separators and putting them on ships would work.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Let's hope this works and works well. That way Costner could likely make a crap load of money from his designs to where he wouldnt have to act ever again. :p
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    Let's hope this works and works well. That way Costner could likely make a crap load of money from his designs to where he wouldnt have to act ever again. :p
    reality is - he'll make money of the design and funnel it all into the crap movies he wants to make! :D

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    reality is - he'll make money of the design and funnel it all into the crap movies he wants to make! :D
    Couldn't his films be classified as environmental disasters?
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Perhaps they suck so bad they can pull the oil right out of the water?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I'm gonna go with - HELL YES!