Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Why Are Blacks Over-Represented In Poverty, Prisons? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Ghettos are predominantly black.
    Actually there are many public housing facilities that are predominantly white. They tend to be generally segregated (there are mostly black public housing places and mostly white public housing places)

Also, there are more white people in poverty, on welfare, and so on, but then again it's the single largest racial category so that's not surprising.

However, it's true that blacks are overrepresented in public housing projects, my question is why?

Why are a larger percentage of blacks (as compared to percentage of whites) living in ghettos or in other poverty-stricken areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Actually there are many public housing facilities that are predominantly white. They tend to be generally segregated (there are mostly black public housing places and mostly white public housing places)

Also, there are more white people in poverty, on welfare, and so on, but then again it's the single largest racial category so that's not surprising.

However, it's true that blacks are overrepresented in public housing projects, my question is why?

Why are a larger percentage of blacks (as compared to percentage of whites) living in ghettos or in other poverty-stricken areas?
    Perhaps they are living out their own expectations? The unspoken message of affirmative action is that they can't get head unless someone helps them. At some point that message may be come culture and if they perceive that they are not getting the help they need they live down to their expectations. The Asian races seem to have high expectations of themselves and do what they can to live up to them. They get very little government help but yet they tend to achieve their what the norm considers success.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Banned
    In Florda. Out smacking around Useful Idiots
    Must be his new Chief of Staph.

From what I've seen in my experience, Free Rent.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Perhaps they are living out their own expectations? The unspoken message of affirmative action is that they can't get head unless someone helps them.
    Affirmative Action policies were instituted as a response to blacks being overrepresented in areas of poverty and underrepresented in areas of economic success.

You may argue that such policies have a detrimental effect, but the problem was around before the policies so they can't be the cause

At some point that message may be come culture and if they perceive that they are not getting the help they need they live down to their expectations. The Asian races seem to have high expectations of themselves and do what they can to live up to them. They get very little government help but yet they tend to achieve their what the norm considers success.
    Cultural issues are surely a factor, but keep in mind that economic situations do a lot to change culture. AA policies and social programs may negatively affect the culture which may in turn contribute to the problem, but again, this does little to explain why the problem exists in the first place.

Sure there have always been poor people, but why are minority ethnic groups drastically overrepresented in the "poor class"?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    From what I've seen in my experience, Free Rent.
    That doesn't explain the racial disproportions. Are you suggesting that free rent is more appealing to minorities? That only suggests the same problem: minorities are disproportionately poor, and thus disproportionately more attracted to (or left only with) low-cost public housing.

Banned
    In Florda. Out smacking around Useful Idiots
    That doesn't explain the racial disproportions.
    One reason is children born out of wedlock. They are more likely to be poor and black illegitimacy and reproductive rates are far higher than whites. It's a cycle that was exasperated by LBJ's "Great Society". So Shaniqua was born in the ghetto, has 5 children by 5 different fathers, who in turn repeat the cycle ad infinitum.

That doesn't explain the racial disproportions. Are you suggesting that free rent is more appealing to minorities? That only suggests the same problem: minorities are disproportionately poor, and thus disproportionately more attracted to (or left only with) low-cost public housing.
    You're racist.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonialMarine0431 View Post
    One reason is children born out of wedlock. They are more likely to be poor and black illegitimacy and reproductive rates are far higher than whites. It's a cycle that was exasperated by LBJ's "Great Society". So Shaniqua was born in the ghetto, has 5 children by 5 different fathers, who in turn repeat the cycle ad infinitum.
    Why is this? Why are blacks more likely to be born out of wedlock?

I'll offer one suggestion: Blacks are incarcerated for crimes far more often and get harsher penalties (like prison) more often than whites.

Why is blacks overrepresented in the prison population?

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The problem that I see with affirmative action is that it is open ended and there were no metrics set up to determine when its goals had been achieved. That is a fundamental error with affirmative action. Since there is no established goal that must be achieved then the goal line becomes fluid and never gets reached because it is constantly being redefined or reinterpreted. Affirmative action is now an expectation of the black community and not a temporary benefit to help the attain equal footing.
    I assumed the "goal" was for minority groups to be proportionally represented in each economic "class", or in positions of power, authority, or success.

Basically, if blacks are 15% of the population, then 15% of a business would ideally be black. Now, I don't support quotas, but a quota is essentially what you are asking for when you want a definitive goal.

As it is, minorities are still disproportionately poor and lacking in places of success.

Also, even if AA becomes an expectation, how does that stop it from being a temporary benefit to help attain equal footing?

I will again fall back on the Asian community as an example of how the black community should do things. The Asians come here, some unable to even speak the language and instead of relying on the government they rely on those who were here before them. They join banks and cooperatives that were establish by leaders in their community and once they get their feet on solid ground they immediately start helping those who are just arriving. Their kids then branch out in to the wider community and become assimilated and "Americanized" but maintain an attachment to their parent's culture.
    Asians, with a Confucianist background, chose to immigrate here voluntarily. They did face discrimination, but many of them had a cultural religious background that was suited to our economic systems. African Americans, on the other hand, do not share this pattern. Most of them immigrated here NON-voluntarily, via the slave trade.

Many of the Latino communities of legal immigrants are starting to follow this pattern and finding success. If people of color who are newly arrived in America can find a way to achieve cultural success how come people who have been here for a couple hundred years can not, as a group, establish the same kind of success in spite of and racial barriers they may encounter? Perhaps they too easily accept the status quo or buy in to the notion that they can only get ahead if the government does it for them. I think that if this is the case then it is a defeatist attitude and maybe they deserve to wallow in their own mediocrity. When blacks, as a group, learn to despise the government assistance more than they expect it then they will start to live out the equality that they say they want.

This is just my opinion. I could be wrong.
    Latinos are also disproportionately poor and underrepresented in places of economic success.

To explains blacks, you're appealing again to the acceptance of the status quo, but how did that become the status quo in the first place?

A few questions: Today, do blacks born in the ghetto have the same educational opportunities and job opportunities as whites born in middle class or affluent areas?

Do they have the same opportunities as other blacks who are born in the middle class or upper class?