Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by swirling_vortex View Post
    As someone else said, if we nationalized the oil companies, we'd have to pay $8 for a gallon of gas and if there was a problem, no one would know about it. I've noticed liberals criticizing BP for its "inaction", but it seems the government has no idea what to do either.

I wonder how long until Tansy_Gold gets the Skinner ban hammer.

I have an idea for plugging the leak, but as I am not a scientist, I have no idea whether it's sound or not.

I drive around Detroit every day for work. I see vacant lots with lots of used tires dumped on them, and I assume this is the case in other big, fading, rust-belt cities. This is due to small tire companies disposing of their used tires in such a way to avoid paying the money to the disposal/recycling companies as required by law (the big stores, like Goodyear, Belle Tire, Discount Tire all have surcharges for disposal of used tires).

But regardless, the tires are still made of a material that can be recycled. Gather the old tires, melt them down and shoot that material at the leak in their "junk shot" plan. Maybe there's even a way to use to metal radial parts, too. Then surround the rubber with something more solid like concrete. I doubt that's a permanent solution, but it could work temporarily until they come up with a better plan.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I have an idea for plugging the leak, but as I am not a scientist, I have no idea whether it's sound or not.

I drive around Detroit every day for work. I see vacant lots with lots of used tires dumped on them, and I assume this is the case in other big, fading, rust-belt cities. This is due to small tire companies disposing of their used tires in such a way to avoid paying the money to the disposal/recycling companies as required by law (the big stores, like Goodyear, Belle Tire, Discount Tire all have surcharges for disposal of used tires).

But regardless, the tires are still made of a material that can be recycled. Gather the old tires, melt them down and shoot that material at the leak in their "junk shot" plan. Maybe there's even a way to use to metal radial parts, too. Then surround the rubber with something more solid like concrete. I doubt that's a permanent solution, but it could work temporarily until they come up with a better plan.
    I believe that's what they're intending to do actually. From one article I read, they were going to use pieces of golf balls and rubber and then seal it over with concrete. Then they would drill the relief well which would stop the pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by swirling_vortex View Post
    I believe that's what they're intending to do actually. From one article I read, they were going to use pieces of golf balls and rubber and then seal it over with concrete. Then they would drill the relief well which would stop the pressure.

Cool, I thought they were going to use mud. I hope it works.

I washed my hair Monday. . . I shed even MORE than usual (which is alot; my ex compared my hair to a show horse -- not sure how I feel about that) I think they could plug it with my HAND SIZED hairball that I got. I'm saving it for the sheer macabre wonder of it all.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.