Thread: South Korea suspends trade with N. Korea

Hybrid View

1. #1 South Korea suspends trade with N. Korea 
    South Korea suspends trade with N. Korea

By the CNN Wire Staff
    May 24, 2010 -- Updated 0536 GMT (1336 HKT)

Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- South Korean President Lee Myung-bak announced Monday his country is suspending trade with North Korea, closing its waters to the North's ships and adopting a newly aggressive military posture after the sinking of a South Korean warship.

"We have always tolerated North Korea's brutality, time and again," Lee said. "We did so because we have always had a genuine longing for peace on the Korean Peninsula. But now things are different."

"North Korea will pay a price corresponding to its provocative acts," he said, according to an English translation of the speech provided by Lee's office. "I will continue to take stern measures to hold the North accountable."

The White House issued a statement Monday supporting South Korea's measures, saying they were "called for and entirely appropriate."

"Specifically, we endorse President Lee's demand that North Korea immediately apologize and punish those responsible for the attack, and, most importantly, stop its belligerent and threatening behavior," the White House statement said.

"U.S. support for South Korea's defense is unequivocal, and the President has directed his military commanders to coordinate closely with their Republic of Korea counterparts to ensure readiness and to deter future aggression."

This won't end well.

CNN
    Last edited by bijou; 05-25-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This won't end well.

CNN
    No it won't. On top of that I have my doubts that when push comes to shove that the Obama administration won't cut and run for fear of upsetting the Chinese.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/05...est=latestnews

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...est=latestnews

See above.

The result in hand is crystal clear. Personally I was hoping to have my first duty station be Okinawa. Time will tell.
    ...Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaguns91 View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/05...est=latestnews

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...est=latestnews

See above.

The result in hand is crystal clear. Personally I was hoping to have my first duty station be Okinawa. Time will tell.
    With North Korea rattling its sabers (and the memory of how the Japanese recruited "comfort women" during WWII still fresh), I'd say that it's a bad time to be closing down a base that is that good a staging area for a second Korean conflict.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    No it won't. On top of that I have my doubts that when push comes to shove that the Obama administration won't cut and run for fear of upsetting the Chinese.
    Me too. The commies are going to push and push cause they know Obama is a pussy. God help us survive 2 1/2 more years of this fool

Resident Grump
    With North Korea rattling its sabers (and the memory of how the Japanese recruited "comfort women" during WWII still fresh), I'd say that it's a bad time to be closing down a base that is that good a staging area for a second Korean conflict.
    Major, a question.

Granted the supply lines are extended, but would, or would not, a revised version of REFORGER be the most effective backup plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Major, a question.

Granted the supply lines are extended, but would, or would not, a revised version of REFORGER be the most effective backup plan?
    It would be heavily modified, since REFORGER is "REturn of FORces to GERmany." :D

Seriously, if we suddenly found ourselves in a Korean scenario, I'm not sure how much we'd be able to intervene. The old plan of being able to fight in two simultaneous theaters was downgraded under Clinton to being able to fight in one theater and do a holding action in another. With the current ongoing operations, even that might be a stretch. Our air and sealift capabilities are maxed out and we lack a lot of the heavy armor and artillery units that we used to have. Also, the Korean fight would probably go very quickly. The North would launch everything that they had in their first strike, maul the South (and Japan, and possibly even Australia and Hawaii) and then brace itself for the inevitable counterattack, which would overwhelm them in a few weeks. We'd probably end up fighting with whatever assets we have in theater, and any follow-on forces would be relief for the ones who'd be occupying a destroyed North.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Resident Grump
    t would be heavily modified, since REFORGER is "REturn of FORces to GERmany." :D
    I know. I was discussing the contingency and the fact that an existing plan is already in place for this kind of rapid deployment.

Seriously, if we suddenly found ourselves in a Korean scenario, I'm not sure how much we'd be able to intervene. The old plan of being able to fight in two simultaneous theaters was downgraded under Clinton to being able to fight in one theater and do a holding action in another. With the current ongoing operations, even that might be a stretch. Our air and sealift capabilities are maxed out and we lack a lot of the heavy armor and artillery units that we used to have. Also, the Korean fight would probably go very quickly. The North would launch everything that they had in their first strike, maul the South (and Japan, and possibly even Australia and Hawaii) and then brace itself for the inevitable counterattack, which would overwhelm them in a few weeks. We'd probably end up fighting with whatever assets we have in theater, and any follow-on forces would be relief for the ones who'd be occupying a destroyed North.
    Shit. :eek::mad: