1. #1 NY Dems Try To Impose Trick-Shooting Law On Cops. 
    Cops furious at 'don't-kill' bill
    By MURRAY WEISS, Criminal Justice Editor

Last Updated: 10:43 AM, May 25, 2010

Posted: 3:13 AM, May 25, 2010

Comments: 141
    | More Print
    EXCLUSIVE

City cops are livid over a legislative proposal that could handcuff the brave officers involved in life-and-death confrontations every day -- requiring them to shoot gun-wielding suspects in the arm or leg rather than shoot to kill, The Post has learned.

The "minimum force" bill, which surfaced in the Assembly last week, seeks to amend the state penal codes' "justification" clause that allows an officer the right to kill a thug if he feels his life or someone else's is in imminent danger.

The bill -- drafted in the wake of Sean Bell's controversial police shooting death -- would force officers to use their weapons "with the intent to stop, rather than kill" a suspect. They would be mandated to "shoot a suspect in the arm or the leg."

Under present NYPD training, cops are taught to shoot at the center of their target and fire their weapon until the threat has been stopped.

"These are split-second, spontaneous events -- and officers have to make a full assessment in a fraction of a second," said an angry Michael Paladino, president of the Detectives Endowment Association. "It is not realistic, and it exists only in cartoons.

"It's moronic and would create two sets of rules in the streets if there is a gunfight. This legislation would require officers to literally shoot the gun out of someone's hand or shoot to wound them in the leg or arm. I don't know of any criminal who doesn't shoot to kill. They are not bound by any restrictions."

"The legislators have their heads buried in the sand, and we would not be able to fully protect the public or ourselves."

In fact, NYPD officers and detectives hit their targets only 17 percent of the time because of the incredibly stressful circumstances surrounding a shooting.

Paladino, whose association represents 5,100 investigators, said he showed the bill last week to Vice President Joe Biden, who scoffed and suggested it be dubbed "The John Wayne Bill" because it demands sharp-shooting skills of the kind only seen in movies.
    You can't make this stuff up.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...#ixzz0oxXnwwUQ

Banned
    I remember reading years ago about a judge that said that burglar had a right to self defense if the homeowner confronted him with a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    I remember reading years ago about a judge that said that burglar had a right to self defense if the homeowner confronted him with a weapon.
    Not in Colorado. You break into a house out here and Granny can take you out with the shotty. And your scum-sucking relatives can't sue her in civil court later to recover a thin dime. :)

Why don't they just go all the way to this bill's logical conclusion and have the officer ask the perps permission before drawing his or her weapon?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

If this does pass, the big question I have is what happens when an officer kills an offender with an intent to kill? Suppose there is a guy that is blasting out rounds and they are well protected. Unless you have sniper teams deployed, how can a cop be effective at aiming accurately within the area of a second? Suppose the cop misses the hand or leg and instead hits in the chest or head, killing him. Or worse yet (for the cop), he shoots him in the leg, but hits his main artery and the criminal bleeds to death. Does the cop now have to go to jail because he was acting out of self-defense?

Once again, the liberal's compassion for the criminals puts more of us in danger. If you don't want to get shot by a cop, then don't commit a crime.

A kinder, more gentle police force. That's the type of change we are all looking for. I think the officers should first try to hug the assailant prior to drawing their weapon. Some people just need a hug.

As long as the armed criminals don't know (that they can no longer be killed by police) this really should not be a problem

I think this is just another case of "government can't solve problems with legislation."

Based on my personal life experiences, unnecessary police brutality happens to "normal people" that really weren't committing any crime. Heck, I was just reading an article about two weeks ago about a swat team that hit the wrong house. And yeah, that shit isn't fun.

But this bill is just outrageous. How anyone that lives in the real world can propose a "minimum force" bill completely escapes. The problem isn't the use of force, the problem is who its used on (in my opinion).