1. #1 Selfish moonbat is selfish 
    Gidney N Cloyd (1000+ posts) Tue May-25-10 11:15 AM
    Original message
    Why do people visit cemeteries?
    My aging mom tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to lay a guilt trip on me last night. She and my dad used to make a regular memorial day trip to place flowers where his parents are buried about 60 miles away. Dad's been buried there himself for a couple years and my mom wanted me to go with her (plus my sister who lives nearby and my brother who's visiting) this weekend.

I don't want to visit graves for a variety of reasons ranging from my belief that, whatever might happen to your soul when you die, it's got nothing anymore to do with the body you leave behind; to my really not enjoying spending too much time with my family (I like 'em but I like 'em a lot better when they're not around). So I begged off.

My mom says "I'm just afraid when I die you kids won't know where we're buried." I told her I was pretty sure I could ask at the cemetery office. We dropped the subject. Mom gets around just fine and will have the company of my sibs so the trip will happen without me.

I'm not looking for absolution here. I'm fine with my decision. But I'm sure I'm in the minority so I'm curious-- those of you who visit graves of relatives: why do you do it?

Most people give their own reasons for doing it, but a few are decent and point out what a douche bag this guy is.

skygazer (1000+ posts) Tue May-25-10 01:34 PM
    Response to Original message
    5. By the way, this shouldn't be about you but about your mother
    It's important to HER, she is by your description aging and she wants to know that someone will come to her grave when she's gone. Why not go along with her and ease her mind? Sometimes it's nice to do things for somebody else.
    alphafemale (1000+ posts) Tue May-25-10 08:30 PM
    Response to Original message
    18. Because she asked you. And it's not always about you.
    It is the original point of Memorial Day after all. If the idea of actually spending time and placing a few flowers on your Dad's grave puts you out that much maybe you could agree to a looking at a few old photo albums with your her or something.

It wasn't that big of a request for cripes sake.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=105x9376831
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I can't say much. When my mother starts kvetching at me about things like this I like to tell her that if she doesn't start being nicer that we're going to donate her body to science and let them conduct experiments on her remains. :o
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I told my dad we're making diamonds out of his ashes. :D He can't quite tell if I'm just funning with him... but I probably will cremate him and keep the ashes with me. It's more interesting to keep my dad somewhere where I can see him everyday- - and a place near where he was easily found in life.

So in all likelihood, either a shelf above the toilet or the tv.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

My paternal grandmother, grandfather and aunt are buried in a beautiful cemetery in Detroit. I took my nieces there once to see it-I think only my aunt's kids visit the site, these days. Their graves are at Grandlawn, which is at Grand River and Telegraph. There are some even more beautiful old cemeteries near downtown Detroit, like the Mt. Elliot or Elmwood cemeteries. There are a lot of historical people buried in those places. It's always quiet and peaceful in a cemetery, and many even have a park-like quality because they are kept up well and have trees and landscaping.

My parents both want to be cremated, as was my other grandma. Grandpa wants to be cremated, also. I told my sister I want to be buried at Grandlawn near my relatives.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Is this post some sort of way for the DUmmies to excuse 0bama from visiting Arlington National Cemetary over Memorial Day weekend?
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Is this post some sort of way for the DUmmies to excuse 0bama from visiting Arlington National Cemetary over Memorial Day weekend?
    ooooohhhhh . . . . had not thought of that . . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.