Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    But borough teacher Rita Wilson, a Kearny resident, argued that if she were paid $3 an hour for the 30 children in her class, she’d be earning $83,000, and she makes nothing near that.

"You’re getting more than that if you include the cost of your benefits," Christie interrupted.

When Wilson, who has a master’s degree, said she was not being compensated for her education and experience, Christie said:

"Well, you know then that you don’t have to do it." Some in the audience applauded.

Christie said he would not have had to impose cuts to education if the teachers union had agreed to his call for a one-year salary freeze and a 1.5 percent increase in employee benefit contributions.

"Your union said that is the greatest assault on public education in the history of the state," Christie said. "That’s why the union has no credibility, stupid statements like that."

Surrounded by reporters after she spoke, Wilson said she was shaking from the encounter, and worried she might get in trouble for speaking out.
    I couldn't believe that I found a website that actually lists teachers throughout New Jersey and provides salary data: http://php.app.com/edstaff/search.php You can actually input the names of teachers and find out their individual salaries. BTW, Rita Wilson did not come up when I put in her name, which leads me to believe that she was either a plant by the union or her name was changed in the article, but either way, she's got very little to fear in terms of reprisal. Regardless, the lowest average salary for teachers with a master's degree in Kearny was $69,360, and the highest average was $83,623. Statewide, the numbers were comparable, but what was really telling was that entry level with a bachelors degree appears to be around $39,900 and at the other end of the spectrum, there were teachers in the district offices making well over $110,000. Throw in benefits, which are probably half-again as much as salary, and Christie was right on the money, literally. Now, in a ridiculously high tax state like New Jersey, that may not go very far, but compared to the average private sector salary, she's doing very nicely. Oh, and for comparison, the military rank at which an officer would be responsible for 30 people is a Second Lieutenant, with basic pay starting at just under $33,000, and while those 30 people are adults, they are also heavily armed, and have been issued with millions of dollars worth of equipment, including vehicles, all of which are the responsibility of that Lieutenant. If Ms. Wilson wants an encounter that will really leave her shaken, she can take a platoon for a week and see what real work is.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I couldn't believe that I found a website that actually lists teachers throughout New Jersey and provides salary data: http://php.app.com/edstaff/search.php You can actually input the names of teachers and find out their individual salaries. BTW, Rita Wilson did not come up when I put in her name, which leads me to believe that she was either a plant by the union or her name was changed in the article, but either way, she's got very little to fear in terms of reprisal. Regardless, the lowest average salary for teachers with a master's degree in Kearny was $69,360, and the highest average was $83,623. Statewide, the numbers were comparable, but what was really telling was that entry level with a bachelors degree appears to be around $39,900 and at the other end of the spectrum, there were teachers in the district offices making well over $110,000. Throw in benefits, which are probably half-again as much as salary, and Christie was right on the money, literally. Now, in a ridiculously high tax state like New Jersey, that may not go very far, but compared to the average private sector salary, she's doing very nicely. Oh, and for comparison, the military rank at which an officer would be responsible for 30 people is a Second Lieutenant, with basic pay starting at just under $33,000, and while those 30 people are adults, they are also heavily armed, and have been issued with millions of dollars worth of equipment, including vehicles, all of which are the responsibility of that Lieutenant. If Ms. Wilson wants an encounter that will really leave her shaken, she can take a platoon for a week and see what real work is.
    If you click on the link I provided, it shows her. Your site goes from 2008-09. She might not have been there then. But in the site I provided, it shows her salary at $86K.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    If you click on the link I provided, it shows her. Your site goes from 2008-09. She might not have been there then. But in the site I provided, it shows her salary at $86K.
    I am impressed with your internet Kung Fu.

I too am impressed with your internet Kung Fu. My compliments to your school.

And, we now know that she lied. She was making more than she claimed. I wonder if the media will pick up on that?
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I too am impressed with your internet Kung Fu. My compliments to your school.

And, we now know that she lied. She was making more than she claimed. I wonder if the media will pick up on that?
    :eek:

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA HA!!!!!

:D

Oh wait . . . . were you serious??
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

What I love about that video is that after Christie tells her that she doesn't have to teach, she goes on a rant about teachers teach because they love it. Uh huh. So why are you bitching about money?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

What I love about that video is that after Christie tells her that she doesn't have to teach, she goes on a rant about teachers teach because they love it. Uh huh. So why are you bitching about money?
    I had the same thought. She could have done anything else. I tell my troops that ask me about teaching that essentially; "teaching is a good second income but the primary bread winner better have a higher paying job."
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    :eek:

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA HA!!!!!

:D

Oh wait . . . . were you serious??
    Oh, please...
    And again, another money quote that the media missed. Go figure... :
    --Odysseus

"You’re cutting and cutting and cutting and there's no way to make up the difference," she said.
    What a maroon..........this is the whole point. There is no more money to tax, therefore you have to cut services.
    She sounds like the woman who said "I can't be out of money I still have checks left"
    "What this country needs are more unemployed politicians."
    -Edward Langley

"Liberals are the type of people who go on safari and wonder why they can't get out and pet the lions..."- warpig